oiler sizes

AP1875

hi, I bought a set of second hand tools. Included were some A&F oilers - black, blue, red, green and yellow. Only problem for me is I don't know which oilers to use for each part. I've watched marks videos on essential tools but it doesn't go into which oiler is used for each job.

From Cousins I can see;

Black -  super fine

Red - super fine as well??

Blue - fine

green - medium

yellow - large

if someone could let me know what each oiler is for that would be really appreciated.

Also, there was some D5 in there that went out of date last month, should I bin it?

Personal preference. I only use the super fine black oiler for pallet stones and quartz jewels generally. Red for most 12-ish ligne watches. Yellow for applyling blogs of grease, etc.

If the D5 looks ok, then I'm sure it will be fine. My opinion, but I'm not convenced about the short shelf-lives of Moebius oils when they are kept bottled and airtight.

Oils generally thicken, but one thing you can’t tell easily is when they oxidise. They can become acidic which can corrode some bare brass parts. Occasionally you can see signs of this on clock plates where an over-oiling drip turns green. 

• Like 1