Rust in watch question!

Shirdel

Hi

I have recently gotten interested to learn and acquire knowledge about watches and there movements.

I have a question for the initiated,if there is rust in the parts of the watch must the patts be replaced or can they be cleaned with a rust removal process or is that not advisable due to the parts being very fragile in nature.

Thanks again for youre time.

Hello Shirdel,

On this friendly forum before making a post for help or advice. We like new members to introduce themselves. Just say a little about what you do and about yourself.

We like that to go into the Introducing Yourself Here. This is the link.

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/forum/23-introduce-yourself-here/

• Like 1

As long as it dose not impedes the free movement of the train. It wouldn,t be a watch/ movement you would want to purchse neither to take pride in, but keeps time on your wrist.

The choice  you take very much depnds on the value of your watch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have not done this on watch parts.but I have found that soaking parts in household vinegar gets the rust out down to the pits without damaging the metal.not pretty perhaps.but rust never sleeps.it will eat your parts up if it isn't removed.it might take a day or two.but with a little agitation brushing and frequent vinegar changes you do get a rust free part.

• 1 year later...

In order to remove the rusted parts, you may need to use a penetrating oil to loosen screws and so forth.
Much of this is covered in Mark's video above, and in various threads on this forum.

You are correct that the parts are delicate, and as a result, they are not always saveable.

In some cases the parts are too far gone to be saved, and must be replaced, and in other cases the rust is superficial and can be removed and the part re-used, all be it with minor imperfections. With the least damaged parts the part can not only be saved, but also  polished to the point where the damage is barely noticeable.

I suggest you post a few close up pictures of the problem and we can make an assessment.

Edited by AndyHull