HELP NEEDED FOR SOURCING A SPECIFIC HANDSET

manodeoro

Hello,

In order to finish a custom watch project need a really specific handset ... baton hour and minute hands with a very long lume opening.
I have already opened a thread about lengthening lume opening here https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/9734-how-to-lengthen-hands-opening/ but I would really prefer to source a handset that already fit my needs.

Here is a picture of what I'm searching for (idealy)

HANDS.thumb.jpg.0f92bf8c26aae5b46cf7bb638b93a71d.jpg

I have searched on Ofrei's website and I have seen their HAN-6595 handset that could be almost perfect

OFREI.JPG.2a34e6048b8f8a2e20a14e776318bfe7.JPG

Unfortunately at Ofrei's website you cannot checkout for orders lower than $18
Plus if I order from them I will have to pay about $18 for shipping, plus taxes and custom fees.
At the end I'm afraid I would pay about $50 for a single handset.

So if an EU member on that forum has in his/her drawers a handset really close to the one I'm searching for and is ready to let it go ... I would be really happy to pay for the handset and the shipping fees.

Or if a member here knows an EU watchparts supplier that have such a handset in stock or can get  it (though I have already searched almost all EU suppliers ... but who knows) ... could he/she be kind enough to provide a link or a web adress.

You could get a cheaper price for the shipping. But standard for is $50 . Check with them how much it would cost to send. But when you do the order you have to cross the $50. If you could just put it in a envelope you could get a cheaper shipping . At least it was so before. 

Have you check cousisnuk for hands. Have a bunch of old Certina handset . Can check if there is anything that could work. 

32 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

You could get a cheaper price for the shipping. But standard for is $50 . Check with them how much it would cost to send. But when you do the order you have to cross the $50. If you could just put it in a envelope you could get a cheaper shipping . At least it was so before. 

Have you check cousisnuk for hands. Have a bunch of old Certina handset . Can check if there is anything that could work. 

Hello  rogart63.

Thanks for searching  your drawers for a possibly matching handset.

I have checked cousinsuk website with no succes, then email them and they say "sorry" :unsure: so no chance this way.

About Ofrei ... they didn't even bothered to answer my information request about the length of their handset (I asked if they are  measured from the center of the hole or if they are overall lenghts).

The only way I can imagine to get that handset at a "normal" price would be if a US member, already ordering some parts from Ofrei, would add it to his order then send it to me in an enveloppe at the cheapest shipping fee, risk on me of course.

I would be glad to pay  in advance for that if someone would agree to do that.

This WE I will try to rework the cheap handset I have to lengthen the lume openings.

I will probably ruin them but we never knows ... if I'm handy enough ^_^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manodeoro said:

Hello  rogart63.

Thanks for searching  your drawers for a possibly matching handset.

I have checked cousinsuk website with no succes, then email them and they say "sorry" :unsure: so no chance this way.

About Ofrei ... they didn't even bothered to answer my information request about the length of their handset (I asked if they are  measured from the center of the hole or if they are overall lenghts).

The only way I can imagine to get that handset at a "normal" price would be if a US member, already ordering some parts from Ofrei, would add it to his order then send it to me in an enveloppe at the cheapest shipping fee, risk on me of course.

I would be glad to pay  in advance for that if someone would agree to do that.

This WE I will try to rework the cheap handset I have to lengthen the lume openings.

I will probably ruin them but we never knows ... if I'm handy enough ^_^

They where to short. Only 11-11,5 for the minute hand. Have you  looked around on Ebay. Search ETA 2824 hands  

Edited by rogart63

13 hours ago, rogart63 said:

thank you for that lnk rogart63 ^_^ I'm not 100% certain it will work but I can take ly chance

-Hour hand : 1.50/10 (longer than the required 7.65)

- Minute hand : 0.90/15 (longer than the required 12.70)

I can cut them squared to the right shape and right overall length.

If I'm lucky the lume opening will be long enough and close to the end.

If I'm not lucky ... that set is only €6.73 shipped to EU so I wont lose too much money

Nevertheless, before ordering, this WE I will try to rework a cheap DJ style handset I have in my drawer.

The idea is to stick both hand on a wood block with non permanent glue and try to lengthen the lume openings with a dremel and a 0.6mm diamond disk :wacko:  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, manodeoro said:

thank you for that lnk rogart63 ^_^ I'm not 100% certain it will work but I can take ly chance

-Hour hand : 1.50/10 (longer than the required 7.65)

- Minute hand : 0.90/15 (longer than the required 12.70)

I can cut them squared to the right shape and right overall length.

If I'm lucky the lume opening will be long enough and close to the end.

If I'm not lucky ... that set is only €6.73 shipped to EU so I wont lose too much money

Nevertheless, before ordering, this WE I will try to rework a cheap DJ style handset I have in my drawer.

The idea is to stick both hand on a wood block with non permanent glue and try to lengthen the lume openings with a dremel and a 0.6mm diamond disk :wacko:  

Could be difficult to file a handset as not all are stainless steel. Some are chromed brass . So if you file them the brass comes up. But if you haven't tried yu will never know if it works. Keep us informed as it always fun to see new projects.