Slightly "Vintage" Timex

83rob83

I'm the new guy on the block. I've been into vintage watches for about a year now. I've bought a few Elgins on ebay and have some pretty old pocket watches but I'm still pretty wet behind the ears. I've started wearing a 1990 Timex mechanical watch that was my fathers however I cant seem to find an exact match of it online anywhere. Can somebody please help me identify the model and other specifications about it. I know its a 1990 because of the 68 on the back of it but thats pretty much all I can find out about it. All the examples I've seen online either say Automatic under Timex or they dont have the waves above water resitant or they display the date. 

20180911_180237.jpg

well glad you found out about the number of the back.  Timex began to use than in 1983.  The model has all the marks of a Marlin but, somewhere around 1985 Timex just listed these as Men's Water Resistant along with a catalog number.  Yes, knida boring name....

so called it a Marlin and it sounds much better.

It has a #105 movement inside.  It looks like you have the original band which is very nice to see.   A good start to a Timex collection.

Thanks JerseyMO. I still haven't found a picture of that exact watch online. I assumed that if I punched in 1990 Timex Mens Water Resistant, it would come up. I guess there was hundreds of variations of that watch. And no, i just replaced the band, the one in the picture is brand new. 

52 minutes ago, 83rob83 said:

Thanks JerseyMO. I still haven't found a picture of that exact watch online. I assumed that if I punched in 1990 Timex Mens Water Resistant, it would come up. I guess there was hundreds of variations of that watch. And no, i just replaced the band, the one in the picture is brand new. 

well not hundreds but the style was made for a long time.  I have one in NOS parts in my to do projects pile. I've not gotten to it since I know it would not flip for much and those crystals are a pain to fit to the case!