screw on back vs snap on back

dwhite

Is there any way to tell if a back is screw on or snap on?  I know many snap on have a relief to get a knife in but I have heard some  don't.  Most screw on backs I  have seen have lugs to get something like  a jaxa tool  in but I understand there are some that are completely smooth like the old pocket watches.  I've got a few watches I'm unsure of so I thought I would ask.  Thanks!

• Like 1

If you don't have the usual tells, it can be tough. I just spent days fighting with a caseback on a pocket watch that I was sure had to be screw off, but I've come to the conclusion it wasn't meant to come off at all.

Information on the specific watches would help.

If you know how old they are, that can help inform things. Earlier than the 80's or so (I'm not an expert so don't use this as a hard date) screw backs were pretty rare. Especially on cheaper watches like Timex, those are almost always snap backs, or you have to pop the crystal and go in from the front.

If the back splits the crown with the front, it's almost certainly a snap back, as the movement is meant to be removed from the case without taking the stem out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, qhartman said:

If you don't have the usual tells, it can be tough. I just spent days fighting with a caseback on a pocket watch that I was sure had to be screw off, but I've come to the conclusion it wasn't meant to come off at all.

Information on the specific watches would help.

If you know how old they are, that can help inform things. Earlier than the 80's or so (I'm not an expert so don't use this as a hard date) screw backs were pretty rare. Especially on cheaper watches like Timex, those are almost always snap backs, or you have to pop the crystal and go in from the front.

If the back splits the crown with the front, it's almost certainly a snap back, as the movement is meant to be removed from the case without taking the stem out.

Thanks!  I feel better now as all of the watches I'm wondering about are from the 60s.  How in the world would you take a movement out from the top?  If you remove the crystal aren't you just presented with the dial with no way to loosen the screw to take out the stem?  I'm trying to imagine how one would do this.

Thanks!  I feel better now as all of the watches I'm wondering about are from the 60s.  How in the world would you take a movement out from the top?  If you remove the crystal aren't you just presented with the dial with no way to loosen the screw to take out the stem?  I'm trying to imagine how one would do this.
It will depend on the watch. Usually watches put together this way have a two part stem. More detail: http://watchfix.info/Battery%20Replacement/One%20Piece%20Case/Battery%20Change%20on%20a%201%20piece%20case.php

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, qhartman said:

It will depend on the watch. Usually watches put together this way have a two part stem. More detail: http://watchfix.info/Battery%20Replacement/One%20Piece%20Case/Battery%20Change%20on%20a%201%20piece%20case.php

Thanks, I bookmarked this page.  I messed up an old watch that had a two piece stem.  I tried to pull it out using advice I read here.  I had to use a ton of force, turns out the two pieces were rusted together.  I  bent up the  stem tube.  Are these  soldered in?  I have an assortment of tubes but no idea how to  remove one and install another.

12 hours ago, qhartman said:

Screw down backs have been around for quite some time and can be found on both high and low end makers.  Of course Rolex is a leader in this area as they developed the "oyster case".  

• Like 1

Screw down backs have been around for quite some time and can be found on both high and low end makers.  Of course Rolex is a leader in this area as they developed the "oyster case".  

Ok. I've never seen it on the lower end stuff of that era, except pocket watches.

• Like 1