Is this to far gone?

rogart63

Too far gone for what?

It looks like it's structurally intact, so someone who loves pieces "with a story" might appreciate it.

If you want to try to restore it somehow, it's certainly possible, but would take enough effort that it's probably not worth it unless you just think it would be fun and have time to burn. Get some brass solder (like this https://www.riogrande.com/product/BrassWireSolder20Ga/132201?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8YCWrq6u3QIVQdbACh1gggWHEAQYAiABEgJmx_D_BwE) and go to town.

Wow, it looks like the surface of the moon.  By "too far gone" I assume you mean regarding refinishing and not just use.  Personally I would be a bit reluctant to try and buff our the pitting unless you measure the case thickness and depth of the worst pit mark.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Geo said:

That's a good reply qhartman, but not an easy technique for most.

Yeah, definitely not for the faint of heart. I've done similar work and it takes forever. If you're patient though, you can get good results. For those interested, here's a primer on the technique: http://jewelrymonk.com/2014/08/05/how-to-solder-and-fill-a-pit/
It would be a bit different here givens the size and quantity of the pits, but not too different. The biggest change would be for the big, wide pits I wouldn't do the wire technique, I'd just try to flux and flow solder into them en masse.

One thing I would add is to start with hard solder to do your first round, then go to medium solder, then to easy. That way each layer you add requires less heat and you don't melt out your previous work.

Edited by qhartman
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

I was more thinking if i could build it up with silver solder and and then chrome it. But think it will be to much work. Remove all that pitting would make the lid to thin i think? 

Yeah, if you do anything, definitely go the additive route. But again, it will take a lot of work to make it look decent. It's really only something I would do if it were a labor of love sort of situation. A collector isn't likely to want something that has had that level of restoration work done on it. Assuming it doesn't feel bad on the wrist, I'd be inclined to leave it as-is.

50 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

It's a caseback from an old Longines. With heavy pitting. It's brass i think that is chromed.

1505518327_hFSobyN1.thumb.jpg.d8a89b1038b04664018a453ee1c00ef6.jpg

the plate might be nickel - silver.  over brass. still it is a big job, but if you are snowed in and have the material.   why not?