Times Electric West Germany

Hello everyone. I purchased a Timex Electric with West Germany stamped on the dial. I got it off of EBAY. It is not running, but does have a battery in it that I am going to change out. The question that I have is what is the best way to take the crystal off? I have read several different ways. I know I have to take the crystal off to get to the movement. I figured I would do that to clean up the movement and polish the crystal a little bit. Also where can I get a manual or something that would show me more about the watch? Thank you for all of your help. 

20180909_102816.jpg

Assuming the back doesn't come off, you're going to have to use a crystal lift to get to the insides. Sometimes people call them "that claw tool". You can order them from a bunch of places for $15-$20. The cheaper ones (like I own) tend to not be as precisely made so they can be fiddly to use. If you think you'll use it more than a couple times it might be worth getting a nicer one that won't slip as often.

All of the Timex backsets are front loading cases so you do need to use a lifting tool.  I myself use a crystal wrench for this task.

Here is what I am wearing today.  The Electronic was the next generation of the Electric.  The difference is that Timex added a regulator board between the power supply and the load.  This was to keep a steady current and improve time keeping.

These are great movements that stand up to any of the early electrics produced.  

backset.jpg