I've ran out of ideas & tricks ...... Help !!

Endeavor

@rodabod: At the end of the day, since I had a full refund from the seller, these watches are a gift.

A gift which, so it seems, keeps giving !!

Another excellent & very educational thread !! Thanks a lot !! :thumbsu:

W.o.w; I wish I was in the Matrix. Stick a pin in my neck, load the floppy and give it to me ......."he's like a machine, 24 hrs straight" !! :biggrin:

Is there more? Stick the floppy in ........ I'm all ears ...... !

Edited by Endeavor

• 3 weeks later...

Well i have to say this was a really fascinating read! So much to take in and learn here! Unfortunately i have nothing to add here except to cheer you on.

Will be interesting to follow and see if you manage to get it running as it should.

The best of luck to you with this watch!

Edit: on second thought i did read about a fellow with a similar problem a couple of weeks ago that had to re set the jewels for the pallet fork on a 75 year old watch. Would be interesting to see what would happen if you used the parts from watch 1 and assembled on main plate for watch 2. I dont know if its to any help but i guess anything is useful at this point?!

Edited by Muligans

6 hours ago, Muligans said:

Would be interesting to see what would happen if you used the parts from watch 1 and assembled on main plate for watch 2

Has been tried, but no difference. As soon as I have time and absorbed all the new information above, I will continue. I first wanted to get an USB microscope up and running, in the hope that I could study the escape-mechanism (and each individual part) better; that's done now; 

Now it's down to the study, so I get to know / understand better where to look at .........

Edited by Endeavor

@yankeedog; thank you for your suggestion ;) I know this thread has become very, very long, but we've invented a name for this check after Rodabod's idea: "The paper tissue trick". If you go back to page one, you'll see it being born :biggrin:

So far it's not clear to me whether the draw and lock is as it supposed to be. That, and more, I have to cover in my upcoming investigation.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Yeah ive watched that a few times before,  i couldnt find my old school dividers to scribe it up 😅 Yep thats the guy i bought a roll from .
    • Yes, "Sold out" is difficult to understand. There doesn't seem to be a lot going on. It's been nine months since any new video was published on the Watch Repair Channel. The Level 4 course on watchfix.com has been in progress for what feels like forever (several years!?). Maybe Mark's enterprises aren't doing well or perhaps already so profitable there's nothing much to motivate him for more material. Or, perhaps these days he's more into crochet. The real reason is probably something entirely different but it would be nice/interesting to know. I don't mean to sound gloomy or pessimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised to be met by an HTTP 404. Every day feels like a gift. Speaking of watchfix.com I've been postponing the "Level 5: Servicing Chronograph Watches" course for a very, very long time. Anyway, I just enrolled on it so it's going to be very interesting to see the videos. I must say, IMO there's nothing really that can compete with Mark's courses when it comes to presentation and video quality. It's simply world-class and makes me associate with some really expensive BBC productions.
    • Steel has some funny properties, or at least counterintuitive. The modulus of elasticity is effectively (not exactly, but close enough) the same for steel that is annealed and hardened. What changes is the point of plastic deformation* . If the movement of your spring doesn't pass that, it should work fine. It looks a little thick, I would thin it a bit maybe from the main body out about halfway, maybe 10-20% thinner (not in thickness, along its form). But if it works it works!   *So- if you have two bars of the same steel, one annealed, one at 600 Vickers (general hardness watch arbors might be), clamp them to a table so the same length is hanging out, and put a weight on the ends, they will bend the same amount. But if you continue to add weight, then remove it, at a point the annealed bar won't return to its original straightness. That's the point of plastic deformation. But up to that point, as springs, they are the same. However- their wear characteristics will be very very different. And getting the hardened bar past its point of plastic deformation takes a lot more effort.
    • @JohnR725 now that you've mentioned it. This is actually the second aftermarket spring (same place and brand) I ordered as the first one broke. The eye on which the arbor pulls on, broke off on the first spring after the first wind, and also it was a bit to large for the arbor. Looked like on one the second picture in the 2nd group. The second one was exactly the same, I had to bend it a bit, to give it a more prominent curve to the end of the spring so that the arbor catches the eye.  Also I believe both were 5-10mm shorter. Not that I writing that, I feel a bit dumb, as the spring might actually been the problem all along, although its advertised as a substitute to the original...     
    • The CS70 is the only one they show as annealed.  A further search on ebay, I found CS75 and CS100 annealed carbon steel strips  e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314072784422