AS 1187/94 Servicing

35 minutes ago, SockMonkey72 said:

Excited to learn new things. Looking for disassembly help on an AS 1187/94 movement. Any assistance would be helpful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Hi,

This might help, which is a download of that movement

https://www.cousinsuk.com/document/search?SearchString=AS+1187

Also, you might find this video helpful

Edited by Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there and welcome, I have no accress to you tube so I havn,t seen the page cousine link provides. In general

Keeping snapshots before disassembly at each stage. 

Device work area to keep flging parts on planet earth.

Check if balance pivots stay in jewels as you gently lift one side of the wheel with tweezer, also how well incabs hold the jewel inside it's housing.

Also, the functioning of  every movement part and the entire power train, release the m/s power before removing the fork... 
I,ll stay tuned with you providing you show the result tic on your wrist.

Regards

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/12/2019 at 7:51 PM, SockMonkey72 said:

All sorted, disassembled, cleaned, re-assembled and oiled.

Running as we speak

Thanks

What oils did you end up using?  I've been looking for some guide to follow for what AS specified for these watches but haven't found much other than a similar era 1256 guide that specifies "fine" and "thick" oil, which is not super helpful.

55 minutes ago, Dpastl said:

What oils did you end up using?  I've been looking for some guide to follow for what AS specified for these watches but haven't found much other than a similar era 1256 guide that specifies "fine" and "thick" oil, which is not super helpful.

If you are looking for a guide you always can use the Moebius general chart, it is working fine for me regardless of manufacturer.
Down side is you get like me stuck with Moebius oils, but think they are OK.
http://www.moebius-lubricants.ch/sites/default/themes/moebius/extras/pdf/tableEN.pdf

On 3/21/2019 at 11:56 AM, HSL said:

If you are looking for a guide you always can use the Moebius general chart, it is working fine for me regardless of manufacturer.
Down side is you get like me stuck with Moebius oils, but think they are OK.
http://www.moebius-lubricants.ch/sites/default/themes/moebius/extras/pdf/tableEN.pdf

Hmm, yeah, that's kinda been my debate as I'm getting into this hobby.  I think my Engineering brain is confused that there isn't a standard for this haha.

6 hours ago, Dpastl said:

Hmm, yeah, that's kinda been my debate as I'm getting into this hobby.  I think my Engineering brain is confused that there isn't a standard for this haha.

There are probably more discussions about this in different forums than I have underwear but I still think I will have a more philosophic and at the same time a pragmatic approach to this subject and keep in mind these are just my delusional thoughts in the matter. 
I think there are plenty of engineers in  this forum who has watch repair/service as a hobby just because of the lack of standards and more on routine, luck and skills.
When being a watchmaker it is a different ballgame since as with anything else there are some guidelines in how to do things in a best practice way. 
Here is some of them

https://www.iso.org/committee/51734/x/catalogue/

When servicing/repairing it's a little bit biased just like in any trade, some prefer tools from a certain manufacturer, some have a favorite oil/grease manufacturer.
How to oil/grease the watch you work with is just like when a technician is servicing your car, the manufacturer has a service schedule he has to follow so you can keep the warranty on your car and so do the movement manufacturers too, here you can find the ETA service documents.

https://secure.eta.ch/CSP/DefaultDesktop.aspx?tabindex=2&tabid=28

Professionals often get certified at Watch manufacturers and by that get access to their service supply chain. It works the same in any trade.

But after a while the warranty is no longer valid since time wears everything down even me. It's then one can begin to service/repair your watch by you self, I guess there are plenty of people in this forum who fixed some easy fault on an old car or even made an oil change or two on it.
When doing that one might not always have access to the correct oil, spare part or service documents ,it's now when one can use a "general chart" as the one from Moebious.
One can see they have compiled the most common functions in a watch and listed the components performing the tasks to achieve the function.
To make this chart more generic one could change the oil/grease from the manufacturers definitions to some definitions like Fine oil, Thick oil, Grease and so on.
This could give you a chance to choose lubrication from a different manufacturer if you have a feeling of the different definitions.

One also have to keep in mind lubrication is just one part of the processes when servicing a watch movement, you just have to adapt an approach what feels good for you and with those words I think I stop since i guess Mark have a limited amount of space on his server and I have to give others a chance to give their view of the world,.

P.S Even though I serviced hundreds of watches I still have attended all of Marks courses and enjoyed them very much it is always good to get a different aspect of the trade from sources like that, they give a little better context to what and why he has a certain approach when servicing the watches in his Youtube videos . 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 3:37 AM, Dpastl said:

There can't be a "standard" because lubricants have evolved over decades. It is like if one was to insist using the exact original types when for a car manufactured 90 or even just 40 years ago. They aren't available anymore and for very good reasons, fortunately something better is.