Journal; What To Put In?

tchalla

Folks,

Just started dissecting my first watch; a Seiko 5, 7s26 and began to think about my dayjob as a navigation officer.

As I maintain a variety of logbooks and see the value in being able to retrace voyages I thought something similar would be of use for watch repair/servicing/etc..

Any thoughts or experience would be most appreciated.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

I write down exactly what I have taken off the watch and in what order in my watch/clock log book. Also get used to writing down what the part is, i.e. a setting lever screw, winding pinion etc. That's good practice and before long you will know what the part is and log that a lot quicker than looking it up every time. I still take pictures along the way as I'm stripping down, so if I do run into a problem putting it back together I can refer back to the picture, which has been most helpful at times. Cousins UK have a lot of PDF movement documents to download: https://www.cousinsuk.com/document/department/watch-movements

You can also hunt down the particular watch movement in other places as well.

Once I have totally finished stripping down, I upload the pictures into my PC and file under Seiko 5 (6309), I also accompany those pics with a PDF of that particular movement if I can find one. In this case, I have attached a schematic and parts list of that particular Seiko 5.

The next time I work on that particular model of watch again, I have something to refer back to. I find this way works well for me.

What I find helpful is when taking the watch apart, I put certain pieces together. Let's say I remove the balance cock, then I would put the balance cock and that screw together in a compartment of a tray. After stripping down, I may have 10 compartments filled with various parts. So all of the keyless work will go in one compartment and all the wheels in another. I find this helps especially when keeping screws with their corresponding pieces. Once all the compartments are filled, I take a picture of each compartment especially of the screws, so when they have been cleaned, I know which screws go with which parts and put them back into those compartments ready for re-assembly. This adds a couple of minutes to the whole process but has saved getting parts/screws mixed up on occasion.

I found a 'walk through' of the movement you are working on..

Seiko 5 6309A.pdf

Edited by Jon
  • Like 2

Wonderful response. You also answered half a dozen questions I yet havent posed.i especially like the idea of writing down each part name as i've not got the lingo down. Then again, it took me awhile to et used to saying various naval sayings.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

I haven't stripped a movement to this level yet, but when I work on laptops I take photos and either print them or annotate them digitally and mark the location of every part I remove with a number. Then, in the case of screws or other very small parts, I tape them to a sheet of paper with the number corresponding to the number I used in the photo, and any extra notes that might be useful for reassembly. A small part tray with separate compartments would be preferable for watch parts I imagine.