Dirty Dozen Vertex

rogart63

Having the fortune to service a Vertex dirty dozen watch . Everything looks nice and clean after service . But the amplitude is way to fast on full wind. If i just run the spring 1/3 wind it runs good . But crank it up the amplitude goes up to 350-360. Can it be that someone before me has put a to strong spring in? If i go down a little in spring thickness would it run better. I think the movement is a Revue 59? 

Haven't measured the mainspring that is inside the barrel yet? 

DSC00166.JPG

As you have identified the mainspring could be too strong certainly the first thing to check. A few years ago I had this issue with a Bulova when I checked the mainspring way over strength. I found these suggestions on the net:

Choices:
-weaker ms
-replace balance complete or vibrate a stronger hs to the balance.
-might try oiling the pallet arbor pivots...possibly with hp1000 or hp1300.

• Like 1

I will check tomorrow which size the MS is.  According to ranfft it should be 1,80x0,10x10x340. Which i can't find on cousisnuk so will take the closest i could find. 

I think it's overbanking so hits the banking pins. Timegrapher looks like a snowfall. 

Edited by rogart63

Hi,

I had a similar issue up for discussion just a couple of weeks back and learned about overbanking from experienced fellows on the forum.

I had replaced the ms in a movement similar to yours with a modern but correctly sized and it ran with 300+ amplitude and intermediate overbanking.

Besides the advice to step down the strength of the ms it was also proposed to run the pallet stones dry which I tried with some success. After that I have just let the thing run for a while which also seems to have reduced the power of the ms as it seems to run ok now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Update on this . Bought a new mainspring after Ranfft numbers and now it's running much better . The new spring is 0,10 thick. Measured the old when i removed it and that was 0,12 . So it was to strong for the job. 

Edited by rogart63
  • Like 1