Snapped stem..

AP1875

So whilst trying to flick the dial hooks out on 2824 I placed my finger on the stem without realising what I was doing and snapped it :-(

51722072e64d17d040c1192681ba986f.jpg

I have some other 2824 clone movements and also 2840 which is very similar and just my luck all of the stems are much shorter.

So my question is how do I size another stem and are they available on cousins? I’ve tried to search the eta branded watch parts section for 2824 stems and all I can find is 2801 16mm and 20mm. I do struggle with the cousins website though, doesn’t come across as the most intuitive to me.

Then it’s how I remove the crown and attach it to the new stem, but that’s for later :-)

I’d really appreciate any help with this guys, the watch is redundant now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a weak spot on stems and it doesn't take a lot of lateral movement to snap them.

If Cousins isn't coming up trumps then try http://www.obsoletewatchandclockparts.com/401-winding-stem.htm   Your 2824 is the automatic-date variant of the 2801 base model and this stem is listed.

An alternative route if you have a stem but it is too short is to use a stem extender: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/regular-swiss-made   These just screw onto a regular stem to make it longer and the new extended stem can then be cut to the desired length.

As far as getting the crown off this should only have been affixed originally by a drop of glue. If you tightly grip the stem in a pair of pliers then just using your fingers should be enough to unscrew the crown.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WatchMaker said:

This is a weak spot on stems and it doesn't take a lot of lateral movement to snap them.

An alternative route if you have a stem but it is too short is to use a stem extender: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/regular-swiss-made   These just screw onto a regular stem to make it longer and the new extended stem can then be cut to the desired length.

Yeah, I was always warned they can be weak but didn't realise putting my finger on it would snap it. lesson learnt. Anyway, I guess it's good practice for me, another thing to learn.

Hardest part for me is getting/finding the right parts. If I buy the 20mm and need to cut it down does it need to be a really nice cut, something I'll need to get a special tool for or can I just use pliers/cutters etc?

14 minutes ago, WatchMaker said:

Stem extender sounds useful, i'm not sure on tap sizes. I'll have to look that up

You can get relatively inexpensive cutters (look at the last item on page https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/end-or-top-straight-cutters# for example).

To be honest though if you've got a decent pair of pliers/cutters and make a clean cut that is fine. It's handy to have a file too just to clean the cut area; some light swipes at 45 degrees around the circumference is fine.

Guys, really struggling to remove the crown from the stem, I’ve tried a few other watches just to get a feel of it and they came away easily. This crown is rubber so I can’t turn it too hard without fear of distorting it.

I can’t use an extension because there is a broken piece on the existing stem that needs to be removed.

I have a replacement stem that fits

Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, manodeoro said:

The stem is possibly glued in the crown.
You could try to heat the stem with a soldering iron to get it hot enough to melt the glue then put it in a pin-vice and turn the crown.
It may work ... or may not

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

if the crown is glued (or   locktited)   and is all metal,  heating it up to 200 deg.  F,    will break the glue bond.  vin

The soldering iron trick should work well, since there is a lot of stem exposed.

tin your iron, so it has a drop of molten solder on it, and hold the iron and drop of molten solder on the stem a minute or so.  The molten solder allows faster heat transfer, and you want it to be fast.

Quickly chuck the stem in your pin vice, and turn the crown off. It should back right off. You must work quickly as the pin vice will sink heat from the small stem quickly.

As to trimming stems, decent ones are quite hard, so no cheapy cutters allowed! (note 2824 stems are all over eBay like measles) I like to thread the stem into a die plate, make the cut, and then back the stem through the plate to straighten any distorted threads. A light filing is nice- grab the stem in your cordless drill and spin it while applying light pressure with a Swiss pattern file. Run it through the die plate again.

Try the fit- if it's "snug" in the crown, leave it be. If it unscrews while trying to set time or date, use an extra fine oiler (the black one) and apply the tiniest amount of PURPLE (low strength) locktite on there I can't remember the number, but it's purple for up to 1/4" fasteners. You may find it at an auto supply house as it is sold for use with carburetor adjustment screws, to keep them from moving. If you use the blue (and certainly don't use red!!!) you will be in the same boat next time...

I think this is watchmaking 101, but maybe not...

• Like 2