List of hard to find antique/vintage movements/ parts

I have the opportunity to purchase numerous large lots of antique and vintage watch movements and NOS parts.

The idea is to create an inventory of donor watches and hard to find parts.

Many such sources are already available on internet, the prices though are high enough to make the buyers seek alternatives or forget all about hearing their watch tick again. 

I need straight forward criticizes and offcourse advice.

Regards

21 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

I have the opportunity to purchase numerous large lots of antique and vintage watch movements and NOS parts.

The idea is to create an inventory of donor watches and hard to find parts.

Many such sources are already available on internet, the prices though are high enough to make the buyers seek alternatives or forget all about hearing their watch tick again. 

I need straight forward criticizes and offcourse advice.

Regards

Sounds interesting :) You have watchparts.org.uk where you can list your parts and keep an inventory  of them. You can also sell them if someone is seeking that hard to find spare part. 

• Thanks 1

Always a good thing but rarely a quick win unless you find a cache of very commonly sought after but quite rare parts. If you can easily afford the initial outlay without having to make some quick sales you are most probably on to a winner; or if there are some parts in the lots that you can sell quickly for a good profit again should be a winner. 

When considering try and remember that eBay and Paypal are both damned expensive to use, they screw you out of %'s at every turn so make sure you have factored this in.

Sounds like an interesting opportunity though. And if there are Seiko parts then we need to talk... ;o)

• Thanks 1

Hi and thank you.  I have an account with watchparts.org.uk and am preparing spreadsheets of what I already have, which at most is two thousand pieces I orignally bought for my own use. 

My problem starts when I start buying more to build on my existng stock. In other words, A list of what members think is in high demand" at moderate price" 

I have checked what is offered by relevent sites, which understandably are profit driven. I consider affordibility for the user and sustainability for me.

Yes I can put you in touch with inheritors of seiko estates. I would be interpreter.

Regards

• Like 1

I would also say don't underestimate the sheer amount of time it can take to catalogue these things, I had the great idea of selling my record collection on discogs once I have thousands of vinyl records I absolutley gave up on the idea after listing about 50 records it just took forever to photograph and list them, if you have the time good luck :thumbsu:

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, wls1971 said:

I would also say don't underestimate the sheer amount of time it can take to catalogue these things, I had the great idea of selling my record collection on discogs once I have thousands of vinyl records I absolutley gave up on the idea after listing about 50 records it just took forever to photograph and list them, if you have the time good luck :thumbsu:

Preparing the spreadsheets, I can imagine what you are talking about. It far exceeds a hobby , rather a fulltime job by itself.

10 hours ago, wls1971 said:

Absolutely agree.

Most of the websites selling old parts are almost impossible to navigate

On 9/3/2018 at 4:56 PM, Pip said:

Always a good thing but rarely a quick win unless you find a cache of very commonly sought after but quite rare parts. If you can easily afford the initial outlay without having to make some quick sales you are most probably on to a winner; or if there are some parts in the lots that you can sell quickly for a good profit again should be a winner. 

When considering try and remember that eBay and Paypal are both damned expensive to use, they screw you out of %'s at every turn so make sure you have factored this in.

Sounds like an interesting opportunity though. And if there are Seiko parts then we need to talk... ;o)

My collection " is"  mainly " rare and sought after pieces"  to name some, spaceman audessiuse, Oris calender pointers... based on information I gathered from internet and out of what is inexpensively available locally.

Facts are such collection is mainly profitable to me . I now think I can do better, profitable to me and useful to others as well. Supplying a part helps fix someone's watch, even better if offered at moderate prices. So I thought I can get a survey of what is needed from members of this forum, furthermore, to offer special discount to members.

Constant effort is to be put in to keep a good work " good " for good.

Watch parts are trash until needed for some repair.

I can use all the advice I get.

Regards

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have

• 1700 crystal
  • 40 NOS cases
  • 100 NOS hand sets
  • 160 NOS bands
  • 1700 NOS dials

I had the same view, would be good to have an inventory and it is but when new stuff arrives, I spend a while updating my google spreadsheet. If I use something, I update it, if I trade/sell something, I update it.

it does take time to keep it in check but there are some unexpected advantages, I see a watch thats missing parts going cheap ? I just search my inventory for the parts and if I have them, its a cheap pick up (this where having your inventory in the cloud, accessible from any device is key)

I also share my inventory with a few trusted people and they return the favor. 

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 9/3/2018 at 2:54 PM, Nucejoe said:

Hi and thank you.  I have an account with watchparts.org.uk and am preparing spreadsheets of what I already have, which at most is two thousand pieces I orignally bought for my own use. 

Just found about that site, very interesting project. Especially I liked "WatchGuy" posting CNC files for those lucky ones that are in a position to use'em.
Have you your parts uploaded?