Quick shout-out for advice on mailing your watch in for inspection?

jordachex

So I have an IWC Schaffausen 1913 gold pocket watch that sets, winds, and runs accurately...though not on an expected 24hr cycle. This could be due to being kept in storage for many years and not regularly wound or used. Or it could be due to a broken part. The hope is that the watch can be corrected with a full service cleaning, oiling, and adjustment...for a reasonable price.
So apparently, at no initial cost to me,  IWC in New York will take a look at it and give me a price on cleaning...or repair, depending on what they find. I have not called IWC yet. I live on the west coast, so perhaps Fedex delivery and $3000 insurance? I have not mailed a watch for inspection before. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

IWC  in New York is offering "at no cost" to give you an estimate? Does that include return shipping with insurance if you decline the service quote? If the watch sets, winds and runs, then there aren't likely to be any broken parts--there may be worn parts however. Setting aside the precautions needed for mailing a vintage gold pocket watch across the U.S. I would not do it for the following reasons:

1) Once IWC has the watch, the will quote you for a vintage restoration, not a standard overhaul. Looking at their prices list  for wristwatches (its downloadable), I see that the least expensive is $490 for mechanical movement without complications, and goes all the way up tp $2,490. I would imagine that they will charge you a premium price for the restoration of a 105 year old pocket watch. Your guess is as good as mine on this one!

2) I would get clarification on what the procedures are for declining an overhaul. I don't think they can provide you with an estimate without doing some preliminary disassembly, and it seems unlikely to me that this will NOT incur a cost if you then say "no thanks" to moving forward with service after the quote--and they WILL charge you for sending it back.

J

• Like 3

Timely advice. You know I just read a blog on another site...the guy sent his pocket watch to IWC working. It came back not working. Now it's about he said / they said and postal insurance for him.

I have one possible alternative. This place I could drive to if necessary WITH the watch in hand and wait.page_banner_pwr13_thin.jpg.de6e210a0caddd43f93bbfba65a2cee6.jpg

18 hours ago, jordachex said:

Vinn3

I have not sent the watch in yet, that's why the post before I do....did you have a bad experience in the past?

My mistake,  sorry.     carry on.     p.s.   i have had mistakes mailing out repair jobs both before and after the INTERNET.  vin

• Thanks 1

How long dose it run on full wind?

Dose it keep stopping at a particulare point? 

Is runing time face up and down different ? How much?

Such data can provide clues for a technical assessment. 

Possible weak mainspring , worn out or damaged staff is about all to be presumed in addition to a regulare service. As for risks of shipping etc your nvestigation is as good as any master watch repairman's.

Regard

• Like 1

Renaissance watch repair seems like a reasonably priced place for you to send your watch. They have experience servicing vintage pocket watches and a clear policy on estimate and return shipping if you decline service.  Make sure you email them before shipping the watch and follow their instructions! 

P.S. I would suggest you not wind the watch until it has been properly serviced.

J

• Like 1