Hi all, glad to be amongst like-minded individuals.

Nost

Greetings.

Just a little introduction. I am a nurse in the UK looking for a hobby that I can turn into an income in years to come.

I am in the process of immersing myself in horology, I have renovated an 'overwound' French mantel clock and will next do the same to a Garrard Westminster chiming clock. My plan next will be to work on some 'overwound' pocket watches, and finally wrist watches. Due to the expense of the tools, I will be purchasing slowly (nurses wages aren't great unfortunately) and would have built enough skill to renovate/repair some vintage pieces.

I have an electronics background but fancy my hand at a mechanical pursuit to keep me sane and dexterous.

I'm looking forward to the adventure ahead :)

Welcome to this friendly forum.

You cannot overwind any clock or watch. If the movement is fully wound, then something is causing it to stop, it is probably dirt or wear. You can have a movement that is barrel bound. That is the spring is would but it will not unwind.

• Like 1

Yeah, I figured that pretty early on when I started looking at why the clock wouldn't run...

In the end it was simply dirt and friction... I like to use 'overwound' now as tongue-in-cheek tern ;)

Thanks for replying, good to meet you :)

6 hours ago, ecodec said:

Hi Nost. Welcome. I am not sure what you mean by "overwound". You have to repair  whatever you have been given and take note of what OH has to say!!  Mike.

Hi Mike, 'overwound' is a term I've seen quite a lot, its a misnomer, but one I like to use to describe the clocks I look for to service. No offence intended to OH.

8 hours ago, ecodec said:

Hi Nost. Welcome. I am not sure what you mean by "overwound". You have to repair  whatever you have been given and take note of what OH has to say!!  Mike.

I think you will find many will use the term overwound when the watch or clock has been fully wound and it will not work. Nost has said it is a misnomer which is correct.

5 hours ago, Nost said:

Hi Mike, 'overwound' is a term I've seen quite a lot, its a misnomer, but one I like to use to describe the clocks I look for to service. No offence intended to OH.

5 hours ago, Nost said:

No offence taken by any of us Nost, You are quite right with regards to your explanation of OVERWOUND !!.

• Thanks 1