Pocket Watch Movement Identification

Hello,

I have recently bought and serviced this lovely 100 year old 'Spikins from Dent' pocket watch. The movement seems higher quality than some watches of this era that I've serviced, having 15 jewels, and being warranted English. It is housed in a solid silver Dennison Watch Case Co. case and has a 1918 Birmingham hallmark.

Given the above info and the attached photos, would anybody be able to identify and tell me whether this is any particular brand of movement? I notice an S in a five-pointed star on the train bridge - is this a trade mark on a movement?

20180823_204300092_iOS.jpg

20180830_221600772_iOS.jpg

20180823_203418576_iOS.jpg

The movement in your watch was manufactured by H.Williamson in Coventry the S in a star is a know trademark of Williamsons, it was produced in various grades starting with a 7 jewel version, so would have been bought in by Dent and supplied to Spikins jewellers who had nine retail jewellery shops in the London area, Williamson also supplied Thomas Russel and H.Samuels with movements they also founded the Buren factories in Switzerland in 1898. They fell foul of the law in 1899 by claiming their watches where English warranted when in fact they had been producing the parts in Switzerland at the Buren factories, they then expanded their factories in England to manufacture fully movements to comply with the law, they where eventually bought out by Smiths.

• Like 1

The movement in your watch was manufactured by H.Williamson in Coventry the S in a star is a know trademark of Williamsons, so would have been bought in by Dent and supplied to Spikins jewellers. They then expanded their factories in England to manufacture full movements to comply with the law, they where eventually bought out by Smiths.

Thanks for answering my question. That makes sense now with the dial signature being ‘Spikins from Dent’, where Dent was simply the movements vendor for the jewellers. Very interesting that Smiths bought out Williamson’s, another watch company I like with their nice gilt movements. Don’t quite see the significance of the S in the star for Williamson but I’m sure there’s a reason. Nice to know I have a fully English manufactured pocket watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, AdamC said:

Don’t quite see the significance of the S in the star for Williamson but I’m sure there’s a reason. Nice to know I have a fully English manufactured pocket watch.

No one seems to be sure what the star and S trademark signify's but it appeared around the time that Williamson started using the word "Astral" for their movements  a name later to become synonymous with Smiths who kept the trademark when they bought Williamson  "There's a pocket for every Astral and a Astral for every pocket"

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By PaulnKC
      Greetings All,
      Hope that all are doing well - in this crazy COVID world.
      I recently acquired a 1958 Rolex Ref. 6569 with a Cal. 1030 movement. All-in-all very nice and clean for her age - and runs very well.
      The winding pinion and clutch wheel had worn each other out - so I found NOS Rolex parts and replaced those. I though the watch deserved the new parts.
      It appeared to have been serviced in the last 10 years - because everything looked clean and the oil looked good (and present).
      Since the watch seemed to be running well and in good health (other than the winding pinion and clutch wheel) - I didn't do a complete service. I didn't think it was worth the risk.
      However, it seems to me that the watch is harder to wind than I would expect.
      I did do a full service on a 1215 that I bought for my wife (ref. 6694). It needed everything - but an awesome running movement when I was finished.
      The 1215 is of course a manual wind - but similar to the 1030. The 1215 winds lightly and smoothly as one would expect.
      The 1030 is "stiff". I haven't taken the barrel apart - but have just ordered some new mainsprings.
      Is there anything tricky about replacing the auto mainspring in a 1030? Or is more or less like any modern auto?
      Clean the barrel; apply braking grease to wall; fit spring; fit arbor - oil lightly at spring-arbor interface; replace lid?

Also - I was only able to find a parts-list for this movement. Anyone know where a tech/service sheet (or similar) may be found?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
      -Paul
    • By MechanicMike
      Ok, I need the WRT detectives out there and their help. I've searched and as far as I can tell this symbol or trademark belongs to the Chicago Watch Co. 1895-1903 and made by Elgin. The movement came in an old but intact tin stamped "Elgin Watch Co. I looked up the serial # on PWD.com under 'Chicago' and that's what came up. But, there are a few pics of others and mine looks nothing like any of them nor has this trademark. Anyone recognize this trademark? It's a size 18s with no case. Aaaand I just noticed I didn't provide the serial number. I'll post it here in a bit. Thanks Mike

• By Nicola00
      Hi, a few days ago i bought a preziosa skin diver, the movement is ok, but there isn't the bezel, where i can find a bezel as in the photos, or a bezel that is compatible?

• By BrianJW
      Does anyone have any more info on this watch movement?  It's a small women's movement. Measures 21.5mm in diameter. Hour/minutes only. It's not an escapement I've seen in a watch before. The only marks I can find are the AS and 40(?). No name on dial either. Thanks! 

• By TC519
      I recently came across this while digging thru a bag of watches. It looked interesting and all of the Google hits for "Swiss Made Timex" are in reference to the American Documents series. I've got to assume I'm not searching the right keywords. I was hoping somebody might have a little information on the subject. While looking recently, I couldn't locate almost any Swiss Made. Most of the watches I did find were quartz movements. Thanks for any insight the community can muster!