Unusual Clock

clockboy

I know this is a watch forum but thought you guys might like to look at an unusual clock that has turned up for a service. It is a "Junghans swinger". The story goes that the customers grandfather was a manager at "Fremlins" brewery based in Kent and was given this on his retirement. My research dates this piece at approx. 1910.

post-234-0-92122300-1413700872_thumb.jpg

Now that is a really unusual piece and going by the date I presume it is clockwork.

Last year I worked on a Schatz swinger that was battery operated. The old U2 battery that the clock was designed to use was heavier than the new "D" cell. I made a carrier to take a "C" cell that gave the same overal weight as the old U2 battery allowing the whole clock to be in balance and keep time.

I remember Fremlins beer - along with Shepherd Neame, one of the oldest brewers in the county, if not the country. You can still see the Fremlins elephant posters and the occasional beer mate on pub walls, though the brewery has long gone.

Very nice piece !

And of course, Will is on top of things with the research :) Watches and beer !!! Next time I go to GB, I have to figure out a way to meet up with you somewhere ! And I used to live in a town called Enfield (CT), so we're almost neighbors :) !