Click Ball and Spring Seiko 6309-729A

Hi,

I was trying to fit a new click ball and spring today on my beloved 6309-729A. I seemed that something was in the hole blocking the spring from seating all the way down. I ended up removing a sleeve from the holeThe lower end of the sleeve is peened over while the other end is open. But there is something in the sleeve that is keeping the spring from going into the sleeve.

Have any of you encountered this? The drawings I have look like the hole in the case should not have anything in it. But the spring I have is too short for it to work that way. 

Also, should the ball be just loose in the hole? It can fall out quite easily.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Mike, a new member

As far as I know the ball should not be loose. It should be quite tight.

I remember that I tried removing such a ball from a hole and spring once and I couldn't do it because it was so tight that I didn't have any grip to extract it. (it did go inside when pressed so it worked fine)

From the beginning it was a complete unit. A spring inside a sleeve and clickball on top. But when it's worn the ball falls out. Leaving the unit still inside the case.  Then it's easy just to put a new ball on top of the spring and it will work fine again.  put a dab of silicon grease to hold the ball there until you have placed the bezel back. Put a new gasket in the bezel and you have a nice working bezel again. 

As it turns out, you were right on the spot Rogart63. I got a small drill bit and cleaned out the years of gunk that had dried up and hardened in the sleeve. Once I did that the spring appeared still in the sleeve. Took it out, cleaned it up, put it back together with a new ball. It works like a charm now. 

Thank you!

Mike

15 hours ago, Docbondo said:

Thank you Rogart63! That is it. I guess the case must be a 7002 because those are the pieces. Now I just have to figure out how to get the rusted spring out of the sleeve.

Thanks!

Mike

I use penetrating oil to remove a rusty part,  let soak for a while.  vin

• 1 year later...