Spring Stud

LiamB

Hello, 

I am working on a pin pallet escarpment and cannot manage to remove the spring stud from the balance cock. The stud is not held in place by a screw as usually found but seems to be friction fit. Pressing on the stud has not been working and I don't want to do any damage. Is thier a particular method to safely remove such a stud?

19 minutes ago, LiamB said:

Hello, 

I am working on a pin pallet escarpment and cannot manage to remove the spring stud from the balance cock. The stud is not held in place by a screw as usually found but seems to be friction fit. Pressing on the stud has not been working and I don't want to do any damage. Is thier a particular method to safely remove such a stud?

What pin pallet caliber are you working on? Are you planning on replacing the hairspring with a new one? I've done quite a few, and when the hairspring needs to be removed, the only way that has worked for me is to place the balance cock onto a stacking stump on the platform and tap it out using a centering punch to align with the stud. I am attaching an image of a BFG 866 that shows the balance cock and the stud. Placement onto the staking platform is trick, but I just choose a stump that will allow it to rest partially supported. You can't fully support it because the balance wheel will be in the way. 

J

916632470_ScreenShot2018-08-28at11_17_49AM.thumb.png.80c94d6b0c9f16b1074d012ad29e21ce.png

27 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

The old pin pallet makers seemed to have taken inspiration from the cylinder makers. It's usually easier and safer to unpin the hs than remove the stud.

I did that ONCE. Believe me when I tell you it was a nightmare to try pinning that hairspring back in place--and G*d help you if you lose that tiny little brass shim.

J

2 hours ago, LiamB said:

Hello LiamB,

On this friendly forum before making a post for help or advice. We like new members to introduce themselves. Just say a little about what you do and about yourself.

We like that to go into the Introducing Yourself Here. This is the link.

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/forum/23-introduce-yourself-here/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank very much for the help, I was able to get the stud out however the spring got detached from the stud and the little pin in missing! Obviously as noted above the pin must have been loosely attached.  I have set this watch aside for later when I decide to learn more about hair springs.