cylinder escapement hairspring fitting

I am currently working on a small pocket watch which has a cylinder escapement.  Dis-assembled and all looks ok.  To get at the balance jewels safely, I decided to remove the hairspring from the balance (forgot to make refitting marks/refs of course!!).  I have seen Marks video on how to position a hairspring to be in beat when refitted to the balance of a lever escapement.  Is there a similar method for aligning the slot in the balance staff for a cylinder escapement?  I have seen literature of how to set in beat, would this be practical for refitting hairspring?  Any advice would be most appreciated.

Edited by canthus
  • Like 1

The beat is adjusted by adjusting the drop of the escape wheel against the side of the cylinder. this should be about 3 - 5 degs. take the spring barrel out, and move the wheels with your finger back and forth till you can get it about the same each way.it may have three dots on the underside of the balance, and one on the lower plate. these show the 5 degrees each side of centre, but as for setting up the watch, this cant really be relied apon, especially if it has had a new staff fitted. will show how far it needs to move anyway. you adjust it by REMOVING THE BALANCE and altering the hairspring collet the direction you think, untill the watch is self starting, or untill you cant stop it in any place.

• Like 2