Smiths dashboard 8 day clock

transporter

Hi guys, another project just got purchased, local antiques fair, and £15 secured a supposedly broken clock, I did sneakily give it a little turn of the key ( although fully wound ) and it started ticking quite nicely ( and ran for just over an hour) anyway I’ve done a search and although there seems to be quite a few for sale be it on eBay or other antique/auction room sites there seems to be very little information on these on line.

its a swing out model with key etc on the rear, mode patina on the rear cover but I will clean up the dial and mount it to a nice wooden stand. I did find a video on university YouTube which showed how to remove the movement from the case but that’s all.

does anyone know what the Cal. The movement is etc etc please.

this is the same type that mine is 

5067C616-40DD-4D98-9ABB-C2F547762051.jpeg

Sorry I can't provide any information for you, but I am jealous.

I like the old car clocks but in Australia I could never find one for $30.

I've been keeping my eye out for a Smiths car clock but haven't found one locally for a reasonable price.

Post many pictures as you go please! I have one of those which my grandfather fitted into a piece of wood, and one day I will give it a service.

I was told that the wood is an off-cut from the Queen Mary’s handrail when it was being refurbished.

Sadly the silver has been removed from the dial of mine so I will need to replate that too. Many more jobs on the list before I get to that though...

If you haven’t worked this bit out yet, the MA symbol on the dial stands for “Motor Accessories” as in Smiths Motor Accessories.

Post many pictures as you go please! I have one of those which my grandfather fitted into a piece of wood, and one day I will give it a service.

I was told that the wood is an off-cut from the Queen Mary’s handrail when it was being refurbished.

Sadly the silver has been removed from the dial of mine so I will need to replate that too. Many more jobs on the list before I get to that though...

If you haven’t worked this bit out yet, the MA symbol on the dial stands for “Motor Accessories” as in Smiths Motor Accessories.

Cheers guys, looks like lots of us have an interest in these clocks, I’ll be honest I just decased it and it’s a very simple movement to work on, no pictures I’m afraid as it was just a quick look,and like some I e a few other jobs waiting first, but I will keep all informed and pictures will be coming ok. 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:00 AM, transporter said:

Cheers guys, looks like lots of us have an interest in these clocks, I’ll be honest I just decased it and it’s a very simple movement to work on, no pictures I’m afraid as it was just a quick look,and like some I e a few other jobs waiting first, but I will keep all informed and pictures will be coming ok. 

your clock must be "rim wind - rim set".    I have not seen one with a wood rim,  I am eager to know what is stamped on the  mvt..  vin

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I have a Smiths MA which my father removed from his 1931 Austin 12/4 before selling it in 1950.  The main spring was broken.  After he retired he got a new main spring fitted, but initially the clock runs fast, then goes slow as the spring begins to wind down.  It only lasts about four days on a wind.  I think the new spring is wrong, probably too strong but unable to take a full wind.  Where can I get a correct replacement spring and get the clock fixed properly?

What you have described as you have said is its the wrong spring. 

You will need to take the clock movement apart and remove the barrel, take out the old spring. Measure the height in side the barrel and its inside diameter. Have a look and see if there is a cal number. A few photos could help us.

• 1 month later...

looking at the stem within the movement, when you press the stem in how much clearence do you get on the cog and the plate? could this cog be a pressure fit and have you used any heat to try to lever offf that last cog. That to me would be a starting point. Also when you depress the stem have you looked all around its circumference where it would normally be hidden by the frame work etc for a pin that my need to be driven out.

That last cog is probably whats holding it in place though so look for a physical method that is restraining it then go for heat hat use to falt head screw drivers, one either side of the shaft and under the cog and use a twisting action to lever off the cog. This way you donty risk bending the stem when levering off the cog.

T