Timex V-Conic won't wind

Good morning everyone,

I don't know if this is the correct section for this but here goes...  I have inherited my grandads old Timex watch and would like to see it working.  He passed away in 1995 and I doubt it has been wound since.  The winder won't turn in one direction but it will pull out in order to change the date/time however, won't seem to wind the mechanism to run the watch.  Is there anything I can do/anywhere I can take it to be repaired as our local jeweller in Newbury (West Berkshire, UK) simply dismissed it and said it was scrap which I refuse to believe.  I have attached some photographs of the front and interior casing.  Any other information on this watch (ie: model, age, etc) would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Chris (An old watch newbie.. and come to think of it, a watch forum newbie!)

IMG_7126.jpg

IMG_7127.JPG

1 hour ago, CPL4 said:

Do you have any idea what may be causing this?  Are these watches usually reliable or is this a common fault?

Thanks

I find it common on any spring powered clock or watch as found to be "up tight".  you can feel "the click or pawl" engaging.  then you should find the pawl and  let the main spring down,  there is another  for that.  vin

Do you know of anywhere in the U.K. that would be able to fix this for me?  I’m quite practical with most things but I’ve never attempted a watch repair before so probably best that I seek some professional help with something that has sentimental value

38 minutes ago, vinn3 said:

I find it common on any spring powered clock or watch as found to be "up tight".  you can feel "the click or pawl" engaging.  then you should find the pawl and  let the main spring down,  there is another  for that.  vin

Do you know of anywhere in the U.K. that would be able to fix this for me?  I’m quite practical with most things but I’ve never attempted a watch repair before so probably best that I seek some professional help with something that has sentimental value

2 hours ago, clockboy said:

If the winder does not turn it might be that it is fully wound and something else is amiss stopping it for running.

Do you have any idea what may be causing this?  Are these watches usually reliable or is this a common fault?  do you know of anyone in the U.K. that would be able to fix this issue for me?

Most you need to do is to follow instructions, especially on safe removal of the dial for it is suppose to keep the lookin and keep on tickin and possibly get another " scrap" movement for parts should it be needed.

Start taking picture as you get to date mechanism, facts are most highly skilled master watch repairers may not remember which part goes where. At this point you get bunch of guess ,however, get to fixing when you show pictures.

Welcome CPL4, I found this info regarding your watch. I don't know of anyone who repairs Timex. There are some on here that do, so you should have some help with it. The reason the watch repairer turned his nose up, is that they are hard to service and he didn't want to do it, as they can be really frustrating to work with. I had the same thing happen to me years ago, but I managed to breathe life into it by just a bit of oil in the right places, just to see if it would go. I'll have a go at stripping it one day when I'm feeling brave. It's a beautiful looking watch you have there, by the way

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?13&ranfft&0&2usau&1254322818

Looks like a 1968 Mercury with date.  Here is a quick trick that might get it to run.  place a few drops of lighter fluid on the backside of the movement.  This should be done right above the pallet fork.  See those two wholes at about 8 o'clock?  that is where the pallet fork is.

pour a little fluid in a plastic cup, than dip a pair of tweezers into the fluid.  next place the tweezers over the two wholes. Give the balance wheel a flick or two and see if it begins to swing.  

if this works it just shows the lube has all dried up and causing to much resistance to the train.  It is just a trick and you will still need to lube the pivots and so on.

Now if you are looking for someone to service it I suggest Greg Ward in Lincolnshire  tell him Jersey Mo say hello!

http://www.woodlandtechnical.co.uk/ .

• 1 month later...

I’ve worked in a few old timex movements, it was one of the first movements I stripped and cleaned etc, they are sods as they are full plate movements but you get satisfaction out of getting it running. Anyway back in the day they were designed to be dunked in cleaning fluid let to dry and oiled and away they went, they weee also a throw away movement . 

As has been said I believe the watch is fully wound and it’s just gummed up with old oil, the lighter fluid would work but there are still “holes” under the dial that would need cleaning and piping, which would mean stripping the date mechanism. 

It really just needs a service and it’s a shame the watchsmith in your local town turned his nose up at doing the job. Keep us informed of how it goes, especially if you want to try it yourself we are here to help

• 9 months later...

Hi Aleks   as promised these are the manuals The  phrase V-Conic refers to the balance pivot bearings which at the time were quite a different approach from the normal pivots. Withe the attached manuals you will be able to rebuild the watch no problem.  assemble everything on to the front plate and then fit the top plate , fit the balance last, is will be a bit of a fiddle.   Make some probes / tools from darning needles inserted into dowels. If you use cheap needles they will be soft and you can bend the tips might be of some use during assembly placing the gears.

21-22-23-26-29 timex.pdf timex 1961 service manual.pdf