Timex Assortment #53 Display Case

JerseyMo

A few weeks back I spotted a unique display case from Timex history on Ebay.  Yes, it was the 1959 display case where a watch is dropped on and anvil to show how good the watches are shock proof.

Now what made this even better is that I already had the catalog page showing this case. So of course I had to buy it.  Main issue was that the mechanism that raised and lowered the watch was missing perhaps the most important part.  Which was the  part that would trip the lever.  With a little bit of consultation with a my watchmaker friend a plan was drawn up on how to make the missing part.  So with a bit of spring wire solder to a hex nut and some chain, the display is back in working order.   Now the next one on the grail list is a display that dips a watch in water to show they are water proof.

Assortment 53.JPG

Display.jpg

DSC08665.JPG

DSC08668.JPG

• Like 2

I love the display case - a great find. Looks like there are a few empty spaces to fill with vintage Timex watches to make the display complete. I have one old Timex that I would love to donate to the cause. Send me a PM and I mail it to you.  Oh, I do have the stem and it does  run.

EE53EFD6-B2EC-49D4-9904-56A124410608.jpeg

Edited by JohnHutchins

17 hours ago, JohnHutchins said:

I love the display case - a great find. Looks like there are a few empty spaces to fill with vintage Timex watches to make the display complete. I have one old Timex that I would love to donate to the cause. Send me a PM and I mail it to you.  Oh, I do have the stem and it does  run.

EE53EFD6-B2EC-49D4-9904-56A124410608.jpeg

Thanks for the offer but I do have all of the spots filled now.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Dell fancy a challenge🤣   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285785684626?itmmeta=01HT29WVJY21Q94C73GYHGBTFX&hash=item428a277a92:g:15YAAOSwNRVmBAUz&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0DIe4QLQBW66rSyIMiyBuk8GY%2B86pQ%2BQnxGbcNq7egAGe5DIs9YMmiWJIbZtMSxwNJIiJxuojbq523IeUSBQ6pJEIQ0tfz2ChrBR03BksmKINyklg1IK4GAfAcYY9Hta9wVeSZSZN7ZCNAfZTgKs9c4%2BUIUZ3Qjc3QjUXDn2uPRo1FiYOEewMG5A26EXb%2BclBgrqtbOmM6P3bea%2F8ZImOAXNI1HtbmtMk84pIGoM6ISwaM1PKFuADtTFMccS5e3ZjndCbXYXHrW3CecsV0edw3M%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8q588nQYw Darwin’s theory of evolution has not been proven to be absolutely.  😀 
    • A already know the size movement I have the problem is the dial a had purchased has a dimension 20.6mm wide a want to find a watch case that going to fit the dial perfectly 
    • Hi.  I would like to take issue here regarding battery driven , watches, clocks,etc. I will and do repair these clocks in fact I have sever al in my collection as well as the regular mechanical ones. I have one on my mantle piece over 60 years old tha belonged to my wife’s Aunt,  long gone Iam afraid and it has been cleaned etc and never missed a beat and is accurate. Every one has their preduices as regards Electrical /electronic Horology but I regard it as part of the progress time line of the art of Horology and to be treated as such. Like Darwin’s theory of evolution it evolved.  Two cavemen knocking rocks together and a shard broke off , looking at it he worked out if it was stuck on the end of a stick he would have a spear. Likewise his pal seeing what he was up to picked up a piece  and did the same, now that’s evolution. Some clockmaker decided to build a clock that ran with a battery and no spring to wind up and break, progress and both the mechanical and battery driven clocks evolved, the battery ones got better to the point that if it broke you changed the complete unit. Likewise watches did the same but both can be repaired by people who approach Horology with an open mind without preduice.  We all have our likes and dislikes bu I for one would never dismiss any technology because I don’t like it.   The mobile phone is a good example of modern technology at work as is the automotive industry. There buttons and switches in my car I don’t use because to me they are not nesessary but I still drive the car.
    • I haven't gone through all the reading of what it might be or not. The first thing I would do if nothing obvious stands out is replace the mainspring, you have to start at the source of the power. Nine times out of ten that is the problem.  
    • Haha. You're just in a wicked mood today John 😅