Hello all, my name is Jakob.

I recently got into servicing mechanical watches at home. My question is now what i need (at minimum) to be able to start cleaning (and oiling) parts. 

I live in Sweden and can not seem to find any good cleaning solutions to buy. Is it a good idea to soak the parts in pure white spirit (mineral spirit) and then letting the parts dry? Is that enought? 

Then when it comes to oiling, what oils is a must? Is it enought to but Moebius 9010 and some Moebius 8300 Grease? Do I also have to get Moebius D5 or do I have to get even more?

Best regards Jakob, if I posted this in the wrong fashion please guide me to the right place.

Hi Jakob and welcome to the forum, we’re a few Swedes here that show up now and then.

Also an amateur I use the ”kemiskt ren bensin” you can buy from your local grocery store (ICA, coop) . It comes in plastic 200 ml bottles and the brand name is ”Gripen”. They do acethone and other stuff as well.

These days you will have to find that special place in the store where they keep the inflammable stuff.

I use (with warm tap water and some washing up liquid, not the bensin) a cheap ultrasonic machine I got from Kjell & co. Works fine for me.

So far my entire lubrication supply consist of 9010/9020 & 8200 grease and that has worked so far. Thinking of getting some other grease as I find the 8200 a bit too liquid at higher temp’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, bsoderling said:

So far my entire lubrication supply consist of 9010/9020 & 8200 grease and that has worked so far. Thinking of getting some other grease as I find the 8200 a bit too liquid at higher temp’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read that 8300 is used instead of 8200 at higher temperatures