Things I learnt the hard way

I been at this for about a year and I learnt a lot of things the hard way. I don't see any thread about lessons learn the hard way so I'll start here.

1. Tea leave holders are not good parts holders. The two halves don't clamp down hard enough and small parts will slip through.
  2. Hairsprings are hard.
  3. Mainsprings are fragile.
  4. Just because someone been in business for 40 years doesn't mean they can't mislead you about vintage watches. Do you homework and don't only take the seller's word.
  5. If you don't know what an expensive vintage watch supposed to look like, don't buy it. 
  6. You will not save money by buying a bunch of "cheap" watches.
  7. You can't (or shouldn't) oil a watch with a single oil and grease.
  8. Organizing a lot of parts is hard.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LOL.

I'm with you on point 2 and a gree with you on point 4,5,6 and 7 too.

I've been far too many clocks and watches butchered by so called professional watch and clock repairers.

The best one just last week which had been at a high street shop andamongst all the otehr things wrong with it they tried to put it in poise by soldering lumps of copper to the bimetallic balance.......

• Like 1

You said it. Well almost.

May I add section 9 and..

Don,t lean over work bench or the piece. Instead hold your head as if looking streight forward and hold the piece up. 

Have a CT scan of your neck taken and ask your physiotherapist for thorough neck examination.

Make sure you got the right and good quality tools.

Take pictures at each disassembly stage if working on unfamiliar piece. 

If ths piece is givng you a hard time, leave it alone till later.

Don,t lend your good tools.

Get a new H/S if the old one  reminds you of macaroni sauce.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I don't have any photos, that was only some of the damage that was done to the watch, the whole movement was a right off. They also lost the hairspring, lost the regulating leaver, broke the jewels on the balance bridge, cracked the glass, lost the winder and tried to bush 2 pivot holes on the bridges and just trashed the bridge.

But very kindly they told the owner there was no charge for the service...............

• Sad 1