New boy on the block

RickTick

Hi Everybody. OK so not so much of a boy anymore, in body anyway.

I have been watching Marks videos and was inspired to join this forum. Sounds like an idea not to scratch my head over problems when I can ask you lovely people. Don't get me wrong, one of the fun parts is resolving issues, just not all the time.

I have been "dabbling with clocks and watches since I was 10 years old. I always had to know how things work be it mechanical or electrical like valve radios.

I have no qualifications and am now looking into how I can resolve that and gain some certifications. Any advice on the route to certification with some of the big boys would be great.

Buy for now.

Rick

Hi Guys. tanks for your replies. I live in Bristol, UK and am a member of BHI. I am looking at their courses and am hoping to attend their training in the next few months. I was then interested in Omega as a starting point in the big boy league. Rick

Hi Rick and welcome.  I call my self a watch jobber. I was very privileged  60 years ago to get 3.5 years part time evening training from a close friend who had been  a Vacheron Constantin Geneva trained watchmaker. Now gone; but I used the knowledge  only occasionally until about 16 years ago. I have no certified academic watch Quals. I was an electronic engineer until I retired. You can do it very well with this fine forum for help and a copy of de Carles and/or Frieds excellent manuals on watch repair. Mark Lovick is an excellent  watch repairer and he offers courses which are no doubt very informative. All good wishes to you. Mike Southampton. 

• Like 1

Hi rick 

Allow me to  take this opportunity  to welcome you. 

My previous post was intended to thank Stuartbaker104 for providing me with the link to causines.uk , but somehow my post ended up on your thread. A new member I don,t see how I manage to do this, my second time actually. A nice mistake, coincidence provided me  this chance .

Best wishes