Vostok Generalskie

VWatchie

Finally finished my Vostok Generalskie extensive overhaul:

43202687415_79ce7d8380_o.jpg

43202686745_b958879982_o.jpg

43202686485_02de33f6d2_o.jpg

43390959984_4863311416_o.jpg

43202687695_553575ba8a_o.jpg

No other watch have I serviced, cleaned, polished, and lubricated as meticulously as this Vostok Generalskie; the movement, case, dial, hands, and crystal. Case and crown gaskets were of course replaced and silicone greased. I even cleaned and polished all train wheels by hand (a bit over the top, I know, but I just couldn’t help myself).

I had many good reasons to be thorough though; This Generalskie was a spontaneous gift to me from someone who made a deep impression on me (I’ll always remember you T). I think it’s one of the most impressive looking Vostoks I’ve seen, and I just love that dolphin case back lid. And, it was my first serious attempt to (somewhat) understand and successfully service a 31 jewel automatic watch.

The service spawned some pretty interesting discussions on WUS and watchrepairtalk.com. First, it was established by our "comrade" experts over at WUS in the “Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a Franken?” that it is indeed legit. The first and major challenge for me was to understand how to service the automatic mainspring barrel. As I learned, this is not entirely trivial when it comes to automatic watches (thank you all!). Secondly, I was puzzled by the state of the reversing wheels and how to lubricate them. This too was eventually sorted out.

For my personal use, I made a "reassembly plan" using pictures from the disassembly. It was only meant for me personally, but for anyone interested click here. I should mention that during the assembly I figured out that it would be most convenient to assemble the parts for the automatic winding as late as possible, so this does not show in my "reassembly plan".

The quality of the movement and the entire watch is the best I’ve seen in any Vostok, Raketa, or Poljot so far. The movement contained some surprising details I haven’t seen before. The centre wheel held a very small (micro) brass cylinder right in the centre of the arbor to hold or guide the seconds hand pivot (see the picture below). Let me tell you, it was not easy to handle, not even with my finest tweezers. Most shims, like under the balance cock, were gilded, and so on. I believe this watch was meant for export and made to impress. It was sold in Stockholm, Sweden sometime in the early 90-ties.

43905551001_c27fa73ef2_o.jpg

I wear it with pride! :biggrin:

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 6

It truly looks absolute pristine !! I initially thought that you were pulling wool over our eyes and presented a brand new watch :startle:

Also congrats with servicing your first 31-jewel automatic, surely more to come ....... :thumbsu:

It looks stunning in every sense and it comes even with a matching strap....... I would wear it with pride too !

Hats off !!   :Bravo:

• Thanks 1