Names of movement parts

Wouldn,t a diagram fully showing movement parts/ names, readily avialable on our forum be useful tool of common vocabulary for all. To no avail so far I have searched internet and this forum, most likely a link, etc is available somewhere, but not "readily", or easy to find.

I know what you mean, sometimes these things are pretty hard to find. It's probably a bit difficult to do this as each movement has it's own type and it's parts and you won't really find one movement to show all types of parts. Here's a couple of images that should help.

watch_parts_zps8f5aa89b.jpg

c5fa59455ff63bfd81ded24853e495bf--glue-c

Rolex-Movement-Parts.jpg

GearTrain.jpg

movementparts.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

How do you address a part you don,t know the name of.

I don't know if I'm a bit weird but I usualy take a look in the service manual of the movement and in that the most parts are named.

It's easier to order parts too if one use the manufacturers names and numbers..

54 minutes ago, HSL said:

I don't know if I'm a bit weird but I usualy take a look in the service manual of the movement and in that the most parts are named.

It's easier to order parts too if one use the manufacturers names and numbers..

This post containing contribution of those who shared back in 2018, has pracially proved useless, since many members, in spite of access to the search function do not know the post exists.

The proposal is a data bank created by members for all, Welcoming non-memebers traffic and more importantly an introduction directing all via a link, on the main page. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HSL said:

Main parts names are consistent, but for complicated and "different" movements there are parts without a standard name. And sometime you see of use different names, e.g. bridge where another would say cock. That consideration about English, in which we have many books, although not many  service sheets come from American or British manufacturers. Then of course the native technical languages for Swiss watches are French and German, so sometime you see a less than perfect english translation. Finally, also Spanish and Italian have a special set of horological terminology that in most cases, but not always, is derived by French.

So there is nothing weird in wanting to know the proper names of parts, after which you're ready to start learning the name in other languages...

4 minutes ago, jdm said:

Main parts names are consistent, but for complicated and "different" movements there are parts without a standard name. And sometime you see of use different names, e.g. bridge where another would say cock. That consideration about English, in which we have many books, although not many  service sheets come from American or British manufacturers. Then of course the native technical languages for Swiss watches are French and German, so sometime you see a less than perfect english translation. Finally, also Spanish and Italian have a special set of horological terminology that in most cases, but not always, is derived by French.

So there is nothing weird in wanting to know the proper names of parts, after which you're ready to start learning the name in other languages...

I agree with what you say but my Point is that when it comes to like different complications on movements they usually are made by the manufacturer and they Always make up a fancy definition of it in many languages. So to get it right when ordering it one Always have to get the correct name and partnumber. That you only can get from the technical sheets and In many languages.

So making a list of the general Components is ok but one have to keep in mind propper or not they don't Always comply with the specific manufacturers definitions and when ordering parts it's those that counts.

partslist.png

• Like 1

I think,   part names that, OH, Nickelsilver, clockboy and this guy with the screen name  jdm :lol:  also johnR,  understand, would work for us to communicate.

Some members lack the equipment to post the pic of a pin quard and he dosn,t know the name either, he is in effect denied of receiving advice.

2 hours ago, HSL said:

It's easier to order parts too if one use the manufacturers names and numbers.

Will you show us how to access service manuals, once you do, havn,t you done what I am proposing. 

10 hours ago, HSL said:

I agree with what you say but my Point is that when it comes to like different complications on movements they usually are made by the manufacturer and they Always make up a fancy definition of it in many languages. So to get it right when ordering it one Always have to get the correct name and partnumber. That you only can get from the technical sheets and In many languages.

So making a list of the general Components is ok but one have to keep in mind propper or not they don't Always comply with the specific manufacturers definitions and when ordering parts it's those that counts.

That is,  when you can find parts, and when the manufacturer is willing to sell them to independent watchmakers. Which exclude all the Swatch group, Rolex, Omega, and the Richemont brands. BTW, in the snippet you posted above there are at least four translations errors for my language alone. This is not a perfect world, repairers have bigger problems that parts names.

Edited by jdm

21 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Will you show us how to access service manuals, once you do, havn,t you done what I am proposing. 

Sorry for not answering Before, I'm away on a bussiness tripp and has limited with time between the usuall wining and dining. I only pop in here when I manage to keep my Eyes open at the meetings.
The most manufacturers have all their techsheets availeble online. ETA has renewed ther B2B portal but it's still there one just have to go through their official site ETA.ch.
So there you can find all the techsheets.. here is the one for a 7750 for an example.
https://shopb2b.eta.ch/7750.html#technical-documents
Un
fortunately I am not an Admin so I could fix links , I suspect the links on the recourses site in here became erratic with the change of adresses on the ETA B2B site. All other links seems to work.

1 hour ago, HSL said:

Sorry for not answering Before, I'm away on a bussiness tripp and has limited with time between the usuall wining and dining. I only pop in here when I manage to keep my Eyes open at the meetings.
The most manufacturers have all their techsheets availeble online. ETA has renewed ther B2B portal but it's still there one just have to go through their official site ETA.ch.
So there you can find all the techsheets.. here is the one for a 7750 for an example.
https://shopb2b.eta.ch/7750.html#technical-documents
Un
fortunately I am not an Admin so I could fix links , I suspect the links on the recourses site in here became erratic with the change of adresses on the ETA B2B site. All other links seems to work.

Thank you, helpful.

• 1 year later...

Terminology sometimes helps when trying to comunicate and explain a certain challenge which arised during the mechanical euphoria when trying to repair a watch, especially when one has a distance to the one trying to help me.

I usually speak swiss horology jargon, fortunately there is a dictionary out there for that  ;) 

http://www.fhs.swiss/berner/?l=en

1 hour ago, HSL said:

I usually speak swiss horology jargon, fortunately there is a dictionary out there for that  ;) 

A dictionary is incomplete if it doesn't list also the swiss part code. We could use these instead of names, to save typing time and be regarded as cult using a secret language.

Mark Lovick put out a pdf or a vid of some sort on this subject couple of months ago, free for all to access. I lost the link to it with my smart phone.

As good as I am with the search function on the site, will find the link and post it before covid-19 finds me.