Cleaning Advice

ro63rto

I bought an old Accurist divers watch for very little (Miyota 3u62) . Sold as non working.

I thought it might just need a battery as many sold that way do.

20141003_121146.jpg

Unfortunately once I unscrewed the retaining ring holding the depthmeter in place I noticed straight away that it was missing the 4 minute contact springs for the aforementioned depthmeter as well as the gasket.

20141003_121205.jpg

20141003_142658_1.jpg

When I looked at the movement under my smartphone microscope I noticed corrosion on some of the contacts.

20141003_143637.jpg

20141003_143659.jpg

can I clean this residue with some electrical solvent cleaner? I used to use this to clean manky faulty remote controls that customers brought in after giving them to their kids to play with.

Did a bit more digging and reading a review I found out that this movement was used in a Sector watch.

Bit more digging and found an Italian watch forum thread. Someone has posted their repair of a very badly (more than mine) water damaged movement.

Apparantly the 3 coils and pcb are still available.

Rare movement so I will give it a go.

There's an Italian supplier who appears to have a new movement. It's at:

http://www.form-parts.it/catalogo/Skart.asp?t=18%2F10%2F2014+11.08.04&codfam_=mov&p=16&Codart=4733U62

I haven't translated the page, but I think you have to register to get a price. Worth a look, perhaps.

Cheers,

Will

Edited by WillFly

There's an Italian supplier who appears to have a new movement. It's at:

http://www.form-parts.it/catalogo/Skart.asp?t=18%2F10%2F2014+11.08.04&codfam_=mov&p=16&Codart=4733U62

I haven't translated the page, but I think you have to register to get a price. Worth a look, perhaps.

Cheers,

Will

Thanks Will.

Looked into registering but they need Italian vat registration etc.

I have dual nationality and address but still not enough.

Might have to register on that Italian watch forum and ask them where they got the parts or as a last resort ask my cousin to get it from that site you linked.

*Campi Obbligatori    translates approx. as required field. UK is not in the drop down list but REGNO UNITO is and that is great britain.

However in Provincia another required field ONLY Italian provinces in drop down menu.

Finding the Miyota 3U62 dimensions would be the way forward.

Edited by clockboy

*Campi Obbligatori translates approx. as required field. UK is not in the drop down list but REGNO UNITO is and that is great britain.

However in Provincia another required field ONLY Italian provinces in drop down menu.

Finding the Miyota 3U62 dimensions would be the way forward.

Thanks but I speak fluent Italian. The clue is in my name [emoji12] [emoji1]

10 1/2 is the stated size of the movement.

Edited by ro63rto

Is there anyone on the forum that lives in Italy that would be willing to help you purchase it?

No idea but I have family over there. Just a palaver to do it that way.

I'll email my cousin and see what he says.

More fun to restore my one though.

I'll try and disassemble the movement to assess the damage more tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Small update.

No one I can buy directly from has any 3u62 movements.

Been keeping my eye out for donors ever since.

Watches using this movement are sought after and often go for silly money.

I think Deep Blue also bought a hell of a lot of movements.

Anyway, this came up and no one was bidding very high as the seller mistakenly advertised it as missing battery cover screws. They are in fact the screws to the depth meter gauge of which I have a spare. Hooefully the movement is good.

I prefer the Accurist (with a nice sapphire crystal [emoji4] ) but we'll see when it arrives.

£12 from Italy

Sector%20STE%20Chrono%20Depthmeter.jpg

• Like 3

Interesting piece Roberto, nice job sir!

Thanks.

Maybe, if luck is with me for once, all this one needs is a battery, some screws and a clean.

I still want to get the accurist working though. Its a really nice hefty watch. I love all of it. Dial, hands, case, bezel. Just the addition of a sapphire crystal from a Hong Kong supplier I found will improve it further.

Fingers crossed [emoji256]

• Like 1

Blistering%20Barnacles.jpg

At first glance, all looked well.

20160304_113219.jpg

But then i tried to take the back off. It was VERY stiff.

All downhill from there [emoji20]

20160304_121916.jpg

Oh well, at least the four springs for the depthmeter are there, even though the actual depth gauge is missing [emoji35]

Maybe i can clean it up and get it working or even make one good movement out of the two [emoji4]

• 3 years later...