How To Chamfer A Watch Case

So I've been searching, I've even Googled, and I cannot seem to find out how to chamfer a watch case.  I've been getting into case restoration, polishing, etc., for Rolex and the like, but this topic seems elusive.  Any help, advice, points in the right direction, and equipment I would need would be most welcome!

Hello!

I’m assuming you mean facet or bevel along the lugs....

Those are made with a lapidary or lapping machine. It requires a precision holder that allows you to move the case only in one direction so that the bevel is precise or sharp. It also allows you to give it a brushing or black polish finish.

The Swiss machines are running at around $9000 and up.

If you’re refinishing a case with a bevel.... then gentle touches with the buffing wheel at high speed can clean them up but be very careful not to round the angles.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm very interested in this as well.

I had thought, perhaps a buff, loaded with diamond paste, somehow attached to one of those knife sharpening jigs that keeps the angle constant... Not tried it yet, just been thinking about it (without spending $9k on a lapping wheel)

Well, after spending a couple hours of researching (on top of the previous research!), I think I've found something...

SHAVIV 29249 Bonus Pack Deburring Tool Kit for Extra Close Work with Mango IIB Handle (11 Pieces)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JY7LXI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_c3DDBbNYNZZME

From what I've seen on video of this, this particular tool will do a 45 degree angle. There are others that will fit the handle for different bevels etc., but you get the idea. I'll give this a go and let you know what I discover and the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not really sure what you're trying to do; if it is refinishing an existing bevel this won't do it, if it's creating a new bevel then a file would work far better.

What I'm trying to do is create a chamfer at a precise angle where none previously existed, then go from there. Since I don't have 9 grand lying around, and since I really haven't found or been given anything of substance thus far, this seemed like a good idea to try out. I'm not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I do get the steak cut.

If there's something you know that you can educate , I'm definitely willing to listen!

How big of a bevel and on what shape of case? Honestly files would be the best and easiest. If you aren't skilled at filing there's really not another method that will get you there any easier. Even with a lathe and milling machine and being skilled in their use, matching contours and angles would take forever. With a bit of practice you can file bevels all over a case in about an hour, figure two to three times that to get them polished while keeping them crisp.

I have one of those tools, great for taking the sharp edges off so you don't cut your fingers, not so good for giving you a nice edge on a watch case, although other than hand files and practice I can't think of a better way.

Thanks for the guidance so far...now we're getting somewhere!

Just so we're clear, short of a machine or tool to do this for me, the deburring tool is nothing more than something to use as a reference point so to speak to get me started.

From the two dozen or so videos I've seen of the tool in action, it looks like it'll get me started on a point of reference - a basic 45 degree angle - that I can then improve upon with other tools. Sorry if I made it sound like this was all I was going to try and use!

The watch case in question is a Star Time generic "Submariner" case. Like I said, use the tool a couple of times to get the point of reference started, then go to work with the file. I'll totally admit that I'm not mechanically inclined, but I'm not entirely helpless either. In my mind's eye, this seems fairly straightforward.

I hope this makes sense. Like I said, I spent a lot of time researching with not much to go on. Short of a step by step guide, this is the best I can come up with. I'm sure it sounds crazy to some, but it makes sense to me a little. lol

Can I suggest you practice on some scrap steel first before trying it on a watch case, much better to make the learning mistakes on some scrap than something valuable.

I've not ever tried to refinish a case so will be interested to see your results

• Like 1