Fitting Domed glass crystals

Tmuir

I've got a cheap quartz diver watch (That isn't used for diving) that I'm replacing the domed glass crystal on for my dad.

This will be the first glass crystal that I will be fitting that isn't just a flat one.

I have the Chinese clone of the Bergeon 5500A press with all the aluminium dies.

I'm looking at biting the bullet and purchasing the Bergeon delron dies for domed glass which are not cheap. Bergeon 6527-6CP

Please confirm for me that I will be flirting with failure if I just tried to use my aluminium dies to fit a domed glass crystal as I just want some confirmation before I part with my hard earned cash.

Yes I know I will be spending way more on tools than the watch I will be fixing is worth, but I don't mind that as its an investment in the future of fixing more expensive watches, but only if I really need to buy them.

I''ve got one of those for fitting the 'unbreakable' acrylic crystals.

I am talking about the flat bottoms solid domed mineral glass crystals which you need to push in that sit in the plastic I ring in the case.

I'm pretty much sorted for fitting any acrylic crystal and for flat mineral glass, but the possibility of shattering a domed mineral glass does concern me if I use the wrong tool.

These are what I'm talking about

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/250mm-domed-flat-bottom-cousins

I would not use a metallic dye on glass or mineral glass. Then again I wouldn't really use them on acrylic either.

Can't you just get the cheap chinese plastic/nylon ones ? I have those and they do the job fine. Just get the ones with a metallic thread.

Happy to buy the Chinese ones if they do the job.

I have a very cheap Chinese ones where the dies just push on and its crap, so you reckon the Chinese ones with the metal threads are ok?

A world of difference between swiss bergeon tools and chinees.

The chinees made scratches the crystal before you can get in installed.

Considering your intent for long term use and" investment" I recommend the high quality tools.

Sorry , didn,t mean to disagree.

Looks like there are many more types of watch glasses around these days. In my time it was normally high and low dome, tension ring and shaped and the branded types. Plastic or nylon dies are better than those metal ones. I never had the influx of Chinese or tools from India. 

Obviously you should get the expensive ones if you can afford them but I don't know if the swiss make plastic dyes.

If not the chinese ones will suffice. But remember to get the ones with metallic threads. And be sure to screw them all the way in.

If the dome is not severe, use a scrap of pine or fir (soft wood) as a buffer and a regular arbor press. You could also apply (a TEENY-TINY) bit of Molykote 111 to help the glass slip into the ring.

If it's a real PITA, I'd be looking to the factory Seiko tool/die for the job. I bet you could order the tool (once you figure out what exactly it is) from an authorized Seiko shop. Or, maybe let the shop press in the crystal if they have the tool on hand.

I'm not above going to the "experts" when I'm well out of my comfort zone with these things...