Improvised watchmaker's bench

bojan1990

Hello,

I recently bought one old sewing box with an idea to make alternative watchmaker's bench which would not take up too much space and which could be mounted on standard desk, so it can be put away when needed.

It can be opened from above only, which is a disadvantage, but I always keep all my repair tools in one bigger blue box and take it out during the work anyway (right lower corner), so no need to open and close the box very often. The height of the box is around 5,9 inches (15 cm). My desk has height of around 30,3 inches (77 cm). The height for the work is then around 36 inches (92 cm).

According to the commercial products like this here http://www.ofrei.com/page241.html the height of this mini-bench should be around 10 inches (25 cm). Not sure how to raise the bench properly (putting books under it?) and I do not know on which height I should properly work?

Another thing is some kind of rail around the box, which could prevent parts from falling down and around the box. Any idea how to make such a thing?

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

Edited by bojan1990
Link corrected.
  • Like 2

welcome and good show!  floor model sewing machine cabinets also makes a good watch bench (after throwing the machine out).   i made a "stand up watch bench"  before having surgery that worked very well.  i still use it somtimes when i have a back ache.  vin

14 hours ago, bandi9111 said:

Nice job!

What kind of wood is it, pine?

I think is pine wood, but not sure. Not an expect, it is kind of soft wood, but not too soft. Bought two pieces of it 100 x 40 x 4 mm and 100 x 5 x 5 mm, it was enough for the bench I made.

12 hours ago, TimFitz said:

Nice work!! Now you can build other useful tools like this screwdriver sharpening rig.:)57fe7f780299f_20161012_110004(Small).jpg.8a21c5bda26dd240cf8d9417ecce3edf.jpg

That looks nice. I was thinking about some place I could put my screwdrivers, but I have only three for now :) And three tweezers only.

• Thanks 1