One-button chronograph

Hello,

I need input identifying the caliber of a 17 jewel movement. There aren't any markings, and the dial side has minute/ seconds dials at 9 and 3. It is a manual winfing one button chronograpg with brand NIGA on the dial. The balance has a bent pivot and I'd like to get it running again. Thanks for all info.

J8a5d351e6720d10217926acb6d4bd85d.jpgd7abc3275d40bd6c8d02619f0d1b13a4.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Its a early Landeron Hann I think possibly a calibre 2 but the usual applies photos of the dial side please for positive identification

Is it a 30 minute register or 45 min on the chronograph ?

Edited by wls1971
  • Like 1

Its a early Landeron Hann I think possibly a calibre 2 but the usual applies photos of the dial side please for positive identification
Is it a 30 minute register or 45 min on the chronograph ?
Sure.

Jda31c16f9acf5ccd181700ce4a31406b.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's an interesting movement that looks a bit like what you would see in an early 20th century pocket chronograph.  Unfortunately that's like the dark ages where written documentation is hard to come by.

I did a bit of internet scouring and came up with this very brief blog post regarding early Hahn chronographs.  I don't know the calibre but you might find it useful.

https://clocksavant.com/blogs/news/servicing

Yes @RyMoeller its an early chronograph. It doesn't belong to me, but the owner told me his father "negotiated" it from an Italian pilot during WWII in exchange for not being taken prisoner. I am trying to bring it back to life. The balance staff pivot isbent, but not broken, so I am trying to find a replacement rather than attempting to straighten. Thank you for the material. I have printed it out. I have been able to ascertain that the movement is a Landeron/Hahn...probably cal 2. From there things get confusing because the two balance suppliers I've been able to find use the 15.5 ligne to identify, but they call it different things

http://www.balancestaffs.com/balancestaffs.php

Calls it Landeron(Hahn) 15.5 , staff BS3324

http://www.vintagewatchmarket.com/store.html#!/LANDERON-Hahn-most-calibers-Chronograph-Balance-Staff/p/754166/category=151303

Has TWO 15.5 chrono balance staffs 

Landeron Caliber 46 (15 1/2''') Chronograph Balance Staff (DCN 1001).
Height 468 (contact us if you need the other dimensions).

Landeron 15 1/2''' N (Nouveau) Chronograph Balance Staff (DCN 1000).
Height 467 (contact us if you need the other dimensions)

I also got a quote to machine a new staff from scratch, and it ain't cheap.

I'll post more pictures on this as the project moves forward.

J

Here is what it looks like underneath the dial:

DSCN5624.thumb.JPG.10e96ac8debf07bb3091c2d97f2d1c6e.JPG

@wls1971 Can you confirm its a Landeron Hahn? 

Here is what the balance pivot looks like:

DSCN5626.thumb.JPG.0320a4b4e99cc385ed46f6bc1d073e88.JPG

I don't think it can be straightened out,but I'd love input if possible. The darn thing will tick if its dial-down, so probably all else is OK, but I plan to replace the mainspring as well.

J

Yes its a 15 1/2 ligne 35mm or 16ligne 36mm Landeron/hahn  it looks like the bottom cap jewel for the balance has been replaced could this be the cause of the bent pivot ? 

Edited by wls1971

6 hours ago, wls1971 said:

Yes its a 15 1/2 ligne 35mm or 16ligne 36mm Landeron/hahn  it looks like the bottom cap jewel for the balance has been replaced could this be the cause of the bent pivot ? 

YEs it noticed that bottom cap as well. Its hard to say if that was the cause, as the caseback has one watchmaker's date to 1951...nothing else. Its fair to say the watch may have been dropped or sustained a strong jolt. I am going to take the measurements of the balance staff that is present, and order a new one. I might try my hand at straightening it. Thanks for your input!

J