How To Remove Scratches On Diver Watch Bezel?

Hello mmarks

Welcome to the forum, could you possibly post a pic so that the problem is visible. There are a number of different techniques but if you want a fine finish I would think we would all need to know what we are dealing with for example if it is a satin finish it would be different to a mirror finish. Geo put up a thread a short time ago showing how to use a fine paper on a bezel shaped piece of wood to ensure the finish matched the watch contours - you could look that one up. But if you put up the pic I can virtually guarantee you will get correctly targeted help.

Cheers,

Vich

Ouch its in the black. I think that you are not looking at polishing out but more like disguising it unless you are looking at major surgery and replacing parts. It's more like an auto body repair in sub miniature. It's 2 am uk time so I regret I am flagging but Bob is in the states and will chip in soon. Someone is bound to have had this problem. I think it will come down to some sort of enamel to cover the blemish and a fine buff to feather it in but colour matching is going to be the key

It looks like enamel to me, maybe the car kit or a dab of testors model paint.

I've used testor black enamel paing glossy on a Swiss made dial with similar finish and it blended well. That time I used a sewing needle to apply it on the "groove" of the scratch. An oiler (extra fine) might also work I suppose. The trick is not to paint outside the scratch so no paint gets over the orinignal black finish.

If it wasn't a too cheap a solution and maybe not too permanet I would even try a permanent marker...but now we are experimenting and the result might be matte which is probably not desired.

In any case, make sure that whatever paint is used it could be removed without affecting the watch, in case the "color blending" is not achieved.

Vic was right, I would chip in! Good night Vic.

Edited by bobm12

You are welcome mmarks, but be careful, I've only done it in one dial never on the bezel. I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work as long as you match the color. Remember to shake well the paint, testors paints tend to settle at the bottom . Try it first in a small scratch, maybe the one on the 20.

Edited by bobm12

As a cheap and cheerful temporary fix I would go the black permanent marker route. Paint due to its thickness will always sit proud and the light will catch it. The finish from permanent marker on the other hand has no depth and can be re-done quickly as required. Also if the colour doesn't look right, sometimes on black it will have sort of purple look, you can easily wipe it off using alcohol.

If it was me I would leave it as is and wear it with pride!

I'd also leave it and accept that the wear is part if its history. If you DO get the urge to touch it up with enamel, can I suggest that you buy an artist's single-hair brush. This is just what the name says it is: a single fine hair for very fin work.

• 5 months later...

"Wonder if a car minor scratch kit would work"...In this case I also wonder if one of the pens I have seen for car scratches might work .

AlthoughI know that it is a different application , instead of Testors model paint I have used Ladies nail polish . I used a black enamel based color for a couple of bezel markers and used a plastic credit card to burnish the finish . The polish really dries hard so I did have to make a couple of smear passes with nail polish remover . I paid .99 cents for the polish .

post-808-0-35875100-1427353851_thumb.jpg

I apply (smear) Testors black paint (for model cars) and then, before it is fully dry but hard enough that it won't stick, I sand ( 800 grit) the bezel all around as if it was not painted. Since the paint is "housed" in the indentations, the sand paper cleans the metal and it looks like factory new. This is effective in Stainless Steel but must exert a very delicate touch on plated stuff.

This is a rebuilt watch that looked like ready for the bin, sorry I don't have a before picture:

post-253-0-55518300-1427384110_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Not a good quality picture!