One of those moments...

I had a Seiko 777 on my bench today, it’s a watch I’ve had for a couple of years and recently it stopped working, the SH would stop around 50 seconds and if given a shake would go again, then would stop again around 50s a few hours later.

So today I stripped it all down and gave it a bit of a spring clean, wasn’t too bad but some oil had migrated and some dirt had gotten to the wheels. No issues. And I have to say the 4R36 movement is nice to work on (I’m used to old Seiko, not your fancy pants Swiss stuff!).

Then disaster. I don’t know what I’ve done but the balance will not swing. I spent an hour, probably nearer two, inspecting the pivots and balance and pallets under the microscope, cleaning the pivots and holes, taking out the pallet and re-cleaning it. Checking it all over again, making sure all the pivots are located. Nothing. Take out the balance again (for about the tenth time) check under microscope thinking maybe the pivot is slightly bent? Doesn’t seem to be. Carefully peg the pivots again... and so on. For more than an hour.

The 777 has a hacking movement. I had the crown pulled out. D’oh!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1