Looking for a better Analogue Multimeter

Tmuir

Currently I have a Digitech analogue multimeter, but its lowest current range is 50uA FSD, which is just barely low enough.

My Henry Fried book on repairing quartz watches talks about a Citizen 3002 meter which by the drawings has a range down to 12uA FSD, which would be much more useful.

I don't like my luck in finding one of those meters for a reasonable price, but is anyone else aware of a brand of analogue multmeters that won't break the bank that has a range that goes down that low?

My local electronics stores Jaycar and Altronics each only has one analogue multimeter and both of them the lowest range is 50uA FSD.

Its not an essential need to get a better meter, but it is something I would like to have.

I'm starting to develop a like for the 1970s and early 1980s better quality quartz movements.

Finding these citizen meteor on eBay for instance is going to be really tough it occasionally shows up but very seldom. Then Seiko had two analog meters the second one was identical to the citizen and two additional digital meters. I find almost none of these ever show up on eBay.

Finding suitable digital meters is easy finding suitable microamp meters analog is not. Typically the lowest range analog meter you find is 50 µA occasionally you might find a 25 µA but it's usually expensive. The options would be to get a higher range analog meter and Bill the circuit to make it into a microamp meter. Or just give up and go with digital. Personally I really like an analog meter when I'm working on quartz watches for measuring the current consumption. For everything else I use a digital meter.

Then there is another option that I almost forgot about so I'm attaching a picture and a picture of the sins meter so you know what you're looking for. Then attached to the bottom of the analog meter is the power source it lets you use a larger battery. The other option is Bulova meter is a nice big meter with a nice low current range. I think Bulova may even have a tech sheet of showing how to use that for quartz watch if you're interested I'll have to look for it. It basically needs a big capacitor to smooth out the readings.

mt-3.jpg

mt-1.JPG

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• in general this shouldn't be any change. but in general questions like this it be nice to know the specifics of the watch in other words how was it performing before it was cased up and what is it doing now.
    • just as a reminder this watch is a Swatch group product. This will bring up a problem like spare parts and technical information. that I found some links to some information on when I talk about your watch and some of the technical and basically your watch is equivalent to 2834-2 for which I'm attaching the technical sheets. But equivalent does not mean exactly the same you want to do a search on the group for C07 as we discussed this watch before including the technical differences how it's supposed to be regulated and basically because it's watch group there is no parts availability. https://calibercorner.com/eta-caliber-c07-xxx/   https://www.chrono24.com/magazine/eta-movements-from-the-2824-2-to-the-powermatic-80-p_80840/ https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/h-10-movement-details.4636991/ eta CT_2834-2_FDE_481857_15.pdf
    • people be honest.... Swatch is evil for the watchmakers and repairers, BUT not everything in watches from Switzerland is from the Swatch-Group. As far as i know, Selitta got sacked by Swatch as a Movement-Assembler for them and they started to produce Movements in their own Name with slight Modifications. As far as i know, they sell Parts to the Market for their Movements. In most cases, if a ETA-Movement fails, it is a valid Option to replace it with a Selitta Movement, which i consider the Solution for this Mess with the Swatch-Group...... I have no Connection to anybody at Selitta, but being a Swiss-Guy, i still like to have Swiss-Made Watches, but not from the Swatch-Group.   ok ? regards, Ernst
    • Just one more greedy act by Swatch. They started a number of years ago here in the US..cutting off supplies to watchmakers that could build complications that many Swatch houses couldn't even touch. Old school masters who had gone through some of the most prestigious houses in the world. Otto Frei has some statements on their page about it. I tell all my customers to avoid new Swiss watches like the plague,..unless they just want an older one in their collection that still has some parts out on the market, or they have really deep pockets and don't mind waiting months and paying through the nose to get it back. Plenty of others to choose from..IE Seiko,..or other non-swiss brands Even a number of Chinese brands are catching up with the Swiss,..and I think that in time, their actions will be their downfall
    • Yes. If that's not what you are experiencing...start looking for something rubbing. A 1st guess is that one of the hands is rubbing against the hole in the center of the dial. Especially if you now have lower amplitude in face up/ face down positions.