A weird pocket watch

I got this lovely looking Croton Pocket watch and I'm trying to figure out how it every worked to begin with. The balance rests right on the plate under the centre wheel and the pallet fork bridge. It doesn't seem like it's correct. The movement looks lovely excepting for the fact that the Incredible Hulk put the screws on. Now I'm not sure if I should file these down or what exactly I should do. It looks like the pivots are fine, they're correct for the jewel holes. I'm just not sure how this thing even ran.07d74d74de2caff9d74648a694708858.jpg2a4a5046c6367cda602ece6694bc9486.jpg184dc66cb398622aaf19ed4d165d139f.jpgc2d904280f6bb60c94e7156465318bcc.jpgc2f2dad6bb97cf8ae16e68f688355453.jpg0a87e80e93faf941aaedfa05e20ac95e.jpg

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

Hi,

To me that lower pivot with its rounded shape looks pretty much done for. I’ve had several movements with pivots looking similar (not completely broken off but kind of short and rounded) and they have been ”dead”.

Usually this comes with a lot of end/side shake on the balance, so try that.

/Bsoderling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Normally around the balance sometimes, the balance can obstruct your view. Another popular place is under the dial on the bottom plate. With some movements particular with very old movement, the only way to identify the movement is by the keyless work. There are catalogues to help one of the best is called BestFit but I’m sure its obsolete, copies do come up on ebay. I believe clockboy has the book. He might be able to help if you get stuck. In fact we all try and help on this forum. 

Oldhippy is correct I do have a couple of Bestfit catalogues. To Id it you need to take some pics of the keyless side. Thats if you don't find any other identifying marks. I noticed it is a Croton watch. I have looked at balance staffs for this make and did not find any. Hopefully croton fitted a regular movement and just cased it.

Yes it does have marks on the movement. Quite like a Bulova in fact, that's what it reminds me of at least. Here's what there is. At least this is what I could find. Also, when I took out the click spring it took off to good knows where, do if you could point me in the direction of that I would be most obliged. I tried to make one but I only have 24 gauge wire so that's too big. I have guitar strings as well but they too are too thick. Also the problem is I don't remember how it was shaped either. My I love this work... But it sure can be pretty frustrating at times. It's so worth it in the end though.5cd9a3affadfbf7339a1e94fbaa5196f.jpg

Marshals Handy catalogue has the Croton A3D listed with the base Calibre being a A.Schild 1058 and states it is a 17 ligne but you are quiet correct it should say 16 ligne, but until I have seen a picture of the reverse of the watch I cant confirm.

All the following are variations of the same movement,

1058, 1059, 1069, 1070: 16 ligne

31 minutes ago, wls1971 said:

Marshals Handy catalogue has the Croton A3D listed with the base Calibre being a A.Schild 1058 and states it is a 17 ligne but you are quiet correct it should say 16 ligne, but until I have seen a picture of the reverse of the watch I cant confirm.

All the following are variations of the same movement,

1058, 1059, 1069, 1070: 16 ligne

Agree, must admit its a maker I have not dealt with before.

Here's the front, I stripped the movement to ready it for cleaning. Here's a picture of the front. Many thanks all!

You'll notice too it has that HK on there. I'm guessing the plate was made in Hong Kong and the rest assembled and such in Switzerland? As is common correct?0e560a68e2498f4494910b545249dbdb.jpga196c29416428e9bf7a3076ab26fadee.jpg

Right it is a A.S 1058 but only if it is a 16 ligne movement so measure across the movement at its widest point a 16 ligne movement would be 36 mm.

Yes a balance complete would be the easiest option, changing the balance staff would require a means of removing the old staff such as a Platax, and a staking set to fit the new one cousins list both a staff and a balance complete for a A.S 1058.

I wouldnt think the HK means it is made in Hong Kong.