Good bye

Guys. 
Just to let you know that i will not be posting here anymore.  This used to be a great forum but this has changed recently.
All the best.
Anilv
Pm sent.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Anilv,

Sorry that you're taking this so seriously over myself moving your Seiko walk-through to a temporary location until completed. It is now back to the original place, please be aware that my housekeeping wasn't meant to diminish your work in any way. If you desire to correspond on the matter with me in PM I'm always here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jdm said:

Anilv,

Sorry that you're taking this so seriously over myself moving your Seiko walk-through to a temporary location until completed. It is now back to the original place, please be aware that my housekeeping wasn't meant to diminish your work in any way. If you desire to correspond on the matter with me in PM I'm always here.

just take a vacation and come  back to one of the friendlyist (sp)  forms I have found. vinn

• Like 1

Hi Anilv. You have given me excellent much needed advice in the past, now I am giving you some, STAY! This is a super forum, full of friendly nice people, it will be less so if you go, so stay. Also you will miss us lol :D

having had one or more of my own posting moved from walk thru to collection I can add I do not understand why.

"My collection" implies to me that these are finished projects and not those in progress.  Or just one that is added for the sake of adding it with perhaps no intention of ever getting around to working on it.

On the other hand, a walk thru is a project that can have few or many steps.  And is not always one that will go into your collection.  In my case these would be those I'm flipping to turn a profit. The posting is to highlight something I found to be interesting and would like to share with other who may find it likewise.

Me?  I'm an IT project manger, DBA and coordinator of SOX compliance.  talk about order and tidiness.  On the other hand, I am born and breed New Jersey native of Italian heritage. .  So holding my thoughts to myself is not an option.

Be cool Anilv and ciao..... which to me is not good bye but more like see you latter!

12 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

having had one or more of my own posting moved from walk thru to collection I can add I do not understand why.

JerseyMo,

While I may have moved some of your topics because they aren't walk-throughs, but more like "make-overs" consisting of a single picture, e.g. https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/9273-timex-1971-minnie-mouse-make-over/ others were not (of course) moved, and I want to thank you for you good contribution.
https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/9007-timex-1970-marlin-25-pulled-hairspring/

I suggest that you feel free to contact the current mods when noticing anything not of your liking on this forum, certainly you didn't do that at the time.

I personally think it would be much better if there was more restraint shown about moving posts. Moving a newbies post is one thing, but for a  long time user to have a post moved is annoying. Not even the courtesy of finding out the users intention,  just wham. post moved. 

It's annoying, and I have enough trouble finding time to participate, and having to deal with these little irritations makes me less likely to make the effort.

That's why I don't do posts that  take a lot of effort, like walkthroughs, because I know they they won't stay unmolested, regardless of my intentions.

This is a solvable problem. Either leave the posts alone, or provide a way that these posts can be built without having to do them in one swell foop. 

Using too narrow of a definition is not helpful, either. If you want a category of "make-overs" then please provide a place for them. Just be aware that if you go down that road,  you will find that you have to move *every* post, and not just the obvious mistakes. People will inevitably gravitate toward the most general category, and pay less and less attention to the sub-forums.  More work for the admins. Maybe that's OK, but notice that this forum software wasn't built to be operated that way,  and some features will break. It happens now.

David

• Like 5

Hi dadiscit,

Things have slightly changed. As you know, I am one of the mods. I tend to leave things as they are unless something is radically wrong. It is normally first posters that get a little confused or someone who is not sure which part of the forum to post in. Then we are able to help. There is no point having posts all over the place. I myself if I need to move a post will contact the poster and say why I think it needs moving, then wait for the reply. We try to keep things as tidy as we can.

All mods past and present try to do their best in helping to run this forum as well as we can.

• Like 1

@oldhippy: I like your approach. We all, and all the new posters do their best. Of course, nobody is perfect and so now and then we need a gentle, moderate touch in the right direction.

Still miss moderator Bobm12 (Bob) who, next to his know-how, brought also humor to the forum and made you feel "home". I've done a quite intensive search to find out what happened to him, but all trails (also on other forums he was a member of) go cold and (email) addresses are all suspended. Unless somebody knows better, it seems to me that he sadly is not among us anymore. He was/is of the same age as I'm, begin 60's.

I wholeheartedly agree with @dadistic : "I think things will be just fine, and I certainly appreciate all the work that goes into maintaining this forum". 

@anilv: This forum needs people like you ....... lessons are now learned. Please reconsider ..... !!

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2018 at 1:56 PM, dadistic said:

to have a post moved is annoying.

Agreed.  If they start getting edited, I really wouldn't like that.  Just my oh so humble opinion, but when it comes to moderation, less is more and then less again.  If you want things tidy consider drastically toning down the pinning and the extensive 'thread moved" entries, (and keep editing of posts open!).  Does it really matter that much where its posted so long as its not grossly out of place?   Its a flow, changing and dynamic and aside from the latest posts, I be most get to things by searching where it doesn't matter where the thread is.   Probably my favorite forum, i've about 10,000 posts, just has one main forum, you go there scan the first page and look whats new and interests you or use the search function or google advanced search if looking for something older.  It works really well.

end of the day, its minor whining though, hugely overshadowed by what a great place this is because of the effort you guys make,  a thankless job mostly so I'll say thanks!

Edited by measuretwice
  • Like 1

• jdm locked this topic