What to look for in a jewel setter?

dieale2

Hello folks,

I got a pocket watch with broken jewels. I need to replace them and it seems like an opportunity to buy more expensive tools. What should I look for in a jewel setter?

Obviously, a complete set is ideal but I am guessing some bits are more important than others and missing a critical piece would be a deal breaker.

From what I gather, buying a vintage Seitz tool set with a fairly complete set is the way to go.

Thanks!

Edited by dieale2

What ever tool you choose look very closely at the condition of the tips of the pushers etc. I did not and had to replace some of the pushers (Seitz). If you don't purchase a full set you can bet the first jewel to go to replace the correct pusher will be missing. Its all about budget. 

Keep your eyes peeled for a Favorite. They are a little higher quality in my opinion, and use a different style of reamer (looks similar to a broach, Horia uses the same). They have a nice collet holding pinvice that holds the reamers- again like Horia- and if complete have a nice little set of collets in handy sizes.

Seitz is good though, hold out for a complete set whichever.

Check first what kind of jewels you have on your pocket watch? I haven't done any pocket watch work before i started with repairing my grandpas Hampden pocket watch. It has rubbed in jewels. So i needed to buy some tools to open and close the jewel holes. 

2 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Check first what kind of jewels you have on your pocket watch? I haven't done any pocket watch work before i started with repairing my grandpas Hampden pocket watch. It has rubbed in jewels. So i needed to buy some tools to open and close the jewel holes. 

It's an Elgin watch with chatons. I figured I can replace the chatons jewels with modern ones with the jewel press.

15 hours ago, dieale2 said:

It's an Elgin watch with chatons. I figured I can replace the chatons jewels with modern ones with the jewel press.

That should probably be okay. Where you from @dieale2 ? Bought my tools from a nice guy i Germany . He had lots of jewel tools for good prices. Send me an PM and i can share his address. 

Edited by rogart63