Re-bushing a clock barrel

clockboy

Hi Guys,

I have a clock barrel that needs re-bushing as I cannot find a suitable replacement barrel. The issue is the existing bushing has worn and is out of centre. I have measured and the existing hole which is approx. 7.5mm the new bushing will be 9mm. I have purchased a replacement bushing that has the required inside lip and when fitted will just need broaching out. However my question is how do I make the new hole exactly in centre. I have a watchmakers lathe (Star) and I can fit a three jaw chuck and it does hold the barrel. However my end stock will only take a 7mm bit. I am presuming I will have to broach the new hole but the issue will be broaching and still keeping dead centre. I have a pillar drill so was wondering if there is a centering bit I could purchase and then drill and smooth out for the final friction fit.
Any ideas much appreciated.

You really need to be able to drill the hole out on your lathe, or set up a boring bar as a second option to bore the hole to size, its the only way you can be sure to keep it central.

The way I did this a few months back was to set up the barrel in my 3 jaw chuck and use a dial test indicator on the machined part of the barrel and rotate the barrel checking the runout and adjusting until I had it down to a couple of hundreds of a mm.

I then  drill it out to 10mm and carefully measured the hole to check it didn't drill oversize.

I machined my own bush from brass tube stock I had previous purchased for making large clock bushes making it 0.05mm larger diameter than the hole I drilled and 0.2mm ticker than the barrel, with a small chamfer on the leading edge to make it easier to start.

I then friction fitted it using my arbor press to push it in, but I could of just as easy put a block of wood ontop of it and gently tapped it in.

I then reamed out the hole in the bush to fit.

I did not do any broaching to fit the bush.

As I had lots of space between the barrel and the plate I put a lip on the bush that sat on the outside of the barrel for extra strength.

centering.jpg

drilling.jpg

bush1.jpg

press1.jpg

press2.jpg

2 hours ago, Tmuir said:

You really need to be able to drill the hole out on your lathe, or set up a boring bar as a second option to bore the hole to size, its the only way you can be sure to keep it central.

The way I did this a few months back was to set up the barrel in my 3 jaw chuck and use a dial test indicator on the machined part of the barrel and rotate the barrel checking the runout and adjusting until I had it down to a couple of hundreds of a mm.

I then  drill it out to 10mm and carefully measured the hole to check it didn't drill oversize.

I machined my own bush from brass tube stock I had previous purchased for making large clock bushes making it 0.05mm larger diameter than the hole I drilled and 0.2mm ticker than the barrel, with a small chamfer on the leading edge to make it easier to start.

I then friction fitted it using my arbor press to push it in, but I could of just as easy put a block of wood ontop of it and gently tapped it in.

I then reamed out the hole in the bush to fit.

I did not do any broaching to fit the bush.

As I had lots of space between the barrel and the plate I put a lip on the bush that sat on the outside of the barrel for extra strength.

centering.jpg

drilling.jpg

bush1.jpg

press1.jpg

press2.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Tmuir,  Unfortunately I do not own a large enough lathe. If I had then this job would be a relatively simple job to achieve. I have a pillar drill and a watchmakers lathe. The watchmakers lathe does have a three jaw chuck and I have tested and the barrel fits. However the tailstock will only take a 7mm drill. I have measured with callipers and using the teeth to centre the existing hole is worn to one side. I might have to broach out to get the existing hole into centre then drill with a 8mm and broach out the rest for nice friction fit. Thats my thoughts for now anyway.I have purchased some pre-made barrel bushes that have a rim for the inside of the barrel that stops the arbour binding. It's the hole thats the issue. What fun !!!!