Modify a watch for magician

Hi All

I need some help finding the right type of watch for an affect. I need an analogue quartz movement that will keep time but when a reed switch (fitted across the right point) is operated (magnet in the strap) the hour and minute hands move quickly (about one full rotation of the minute hand in 3 seconds) till the reed switch is released.  

I have an old video of an example, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtSFYcbRgWg) but can’t find any more information on it, apart from it keeps time but the crown is a dummy. You set the time by operating the reed switch with the magnet.

I have tried some old watches I have and I can get the hands to move by shorting to one of the test points but it is no way quick enough.

I want old school as there are so many smart watches that can do this, so no phone and you can see my hands at all time.

Hope this is posted in the right place?

Thank you in advance,

Phil.

If you use a quartz watch on a demagnetizer the desired effect will happen.

I'm guessing that you have to somehow get the parts from the demagnetizer somewhere close to the watch to do this... Perhaps if you get the same components but smaller and get it all working...

This is what I'm talking about. These are cheap but they're pretty big so can't be hidden.

image.png.a0bd8bf4a9c9f3a6966cc2f7406ccefe.png

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chopin said:

If you use a quartz watch on a demagnetizer the desired effect will happen.

I'm guessing that you have to somehow get the parts from the demagnetizer somewhere close to the watch to do this... Perhaps if you get the same components but smaller and get it all working...

This is what I'm talking about. These are cheap but they're pretty big so can't be hidden.

image.png.a0bd8bf4a9c9f3a6966cc2f7406ccefe.png

Hi,

Thanks Chopin

From what I can tell it's all self contained in the watch (the one in the video defiantly is), I have had a play with some test points on an old watch and can get the hands to turn fast but no where near the speed of the one in the video.  Just thought a certain type of quartz watch mechanism may go at this speed in a "test mode"?  

Phil :-)

I had a vintage quartz that did this from the 1970s. A Tissot. That one could have definitely been modified to do something like this...

Isn't there a special magician watch that does this that cna be bought off the shelf ?

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Only found one in the USA and they with not ship to the UK.  I like to make my own props (I'm only an amateur) and would like to make my own and fit it to a watch I would wear every day.  The only other one I have seen looked terrible and suspect . 

Do you have any more information on how the Tissot could be made to do this?

Thank you,

Phil.

1 hour ago, Chopin said:

The vintage tissot that did this because it had a very unique and distinct type of movement which you won't find on today's quartz watches.

Hi,

Can you give any more information how it was different, I'm very curious. I love learning new things. 

Do you think it will still be possible to find one on eBay?

Thank you.