Latest Restoration (1960's Omega Seamaster 30)

Billiards

Thanks for the compliments guys! As I have said before, I LOVE working on vintage!

In my book, patina is nice and all, but I prefer a watch to both look and function as close to it did when it left the factory. Most people want function and form. I know that there are purists out there that want EVERYTHING original. But, let's face it. There are millions of old watches out there that are mechanically easy to repair but are cosmetically trashed. They either become candidates for restoration or destined to be used as parts. I'd prefer putting them back to something someone will really enjoy wearing. The purists can pay 3x or more for an unrestored example. But, most people aren't purists. And if they want to become purists, they have to start somewhere.

When I have a dial that needs a full-blown restoration, I generally send it to International Dial, INC. in Ohio.

I've had a few issues with their turn-around time before. But, on a simple refinish, they're generally quick. I've looked into Kirk Dial out of California. They wouldn't even tell me if their pricing was comparable to their competition. Also, they seemed to have a SERIOUS attitude problem. I would like to have other options. But, I have yet to find anyone else.

I agree with you Bill, I'd rather restore, refinish, replace, whatever it takes to keep a watch ticking rather than use it for parts. Some might keep original dials and some will even have a "borrowed" one from somewhere. In some cases I would send the dials to be refinished but rarely.

In any case, I couldn't spot it was a refinished dial, it is a good job! I'm used to soap and water on them and most of the time they come out pretty good, that and rodico, therefore the question. You know, always looking for that holy grail for dials!