Stoopid Question Re Tax & Duty

Won an auction for a Seiko watch. Seller is in Cork in Ireland.

Any taxes due?

From a personal seller who ships the item from inside the EU, none. If sold by a VAT registered business (represented by the seller), you would have been liable for VAT if not already included in the price. The other tricky area is when a seller within the EU ships something to you from outside the EU - counts as an import subject to customs/VAT.

This one sounds safe though!

• Like 1

Wonder how long it takes a package to go from Cork to London? Getting fidgety in anticipation.

It's usually 4-5 working days from the UK to Ireland, so I assume something similar in reverse ;). If they sent it out yesterday, the weekend may help shorten that a wee bit but it's hit and miss. This assumes they sent it as a registered parcel.

Edited by PadraicB

It's usually 4-5 working days from the UK to Ireland, so I assume something similar in reverse ;). If they sent it out yesterday, the weekend may help shorten that a wee bit but it's hit and miss. This assumes they sent it as a registered parcel.

Thanks. Ebay said dispatched on 14th.

Maybe Tuesday then.

Postage for your Seiko was €6.00 - that might be 2nd class. I always send a "despatched" message via eBay when I send something. Have you not had this?

If you don't get your  goods within a certain time from payment, you can always prompt him via eBay.

Edited by WillFly

Postage for your Seiko was €6.00 - that might be 2nd class. I always send a "despatched" message via eBay when I send something. Have you not had this?

Got the dispatched notification on the 14th.

Someone told me no 1st or 2nd class from ROI just based on weight. Or are the wrong?

I'm with Will on this one, use EBay if it goes past your scheduled day. It has worked wonders for me just lately.

The worst was one from the States, I ordered two items, paid for them immediately and received only one I'd super quick time. Luckily I had the sense to photograph the wrapping with the customs declaration stating one item. I sent four emails over a period of three weeks asking about the second item and the guy didn't have the decency to answer any. I then shot off a complaint to EBay and it was resolved within in a week, only then did he contact me saying that the carriage didn't make selling the goods worthwhile???? This was said in a manner that made it out to be my fault, He who set the carriage cost, not me!

I'd contact the seller, or if it has passed Ebay's estimated delivery date, consider a complaint.

€6 sounds like standard post which is about 3 days to the UK followed by local post delivery. Should be within 5 working days in total. It's not registered so I assume you weren't sent a tracking number?

I'd contact the seller, or if it has passed Ebay's estimated delivery date, consider a complaint.

€6 sounds like standard post which is about 3 days to the UK followed by local post delivery. Should be within 5 working days in total. It's not registered so I assume you weren't sent a tracking number?

No tracking number.

As above, browser bay states a little longer to get here. Although it also states posted on 13th but i got notification on 14th.

We'll see what happen by this time next week.

Maybe some xmas temp at royal mail has pilfered it. Wouldn't be the first time.

Finally got here.

Looks like the pics BUT.....

1) The crown unscrews when trying to set day.

2) When trying to set time, minute hand tries to move while hour hand goes round.

3) Little **BLEEP**er charged me €6 post but only put €3.80 on padded envelope.

4) Security declaration says Belgooly, Cork but return address on rear says Zagreb, Croatia.

Time to open her up after a coffee to calm down.

Edited by ro63rto

I note the seller gives absolutely no indication of accuracy or movement condition in the ad - which is a shame if you start a dispute claim. I also wondered why he called himself "allesaufgruen" which, translated from the German, means "everything in green". Is he a German, living in Zagreb and selling stuff through a buddy in Ireland? It's not unknown for such partnerships to take place on eBay. I know an eBay dealer in Guildford who's Greek but who sells Favre-Leuba watches which have obviously been done up and "restored" in India to be sold over here! It's a kind of false selling provenance. He's probably sent a job lot of watches from Zagreb to Ireland, where his mate sells them on eBay. Hence the postage differential...

Luckily, with Seiko 5 autos, there are lots of spares and parts out there, should you wish to put it right. Anyway, you can get your revenge and knock off his 100% rating with a nice negative one - just let him give you a positive one first!

Edited by WillFly

I note the seller gives absolutely no indication of accuracy or movement condition in the ad - which is a shame if you start a dispute claim. I also wondered why he called himself "allesaufgruen" which, translated from the German, means "everything in green". Is he a German, living in Zagreb and selling stuff through a buddy in Ireland? It's not unknown for such partnerships to take place on eBay. I know an eBay dealer in Guildford who's Greek but who sells Favre-Leuba watches which have obviously been done up and "restored" in India to be sold over here! It's a kind of false selling provenance. He's probably sent a job lot of watches from Zagreb to Ireland, where his mate sells them on eBay. Hence the postage differential...

Luckily, with Seiko 5 autos, there are lots of spares and parts out there, should you wish to put it right. Anyway, you can get your revenge and knock off his 100% rating with a nice negative one - just let him give you a positive one first!

Yeah. Got carried away with this one.

He's already left me positive.

I will def leave him a negative on all of the above inc not replying to my messages.

The name on the declaration is Schlensok.

Might try to repair it. Not sure yet. We'll see whats inside first.