Educate me some more on English Fusee Clocks

Tmuir

I've found two English Fusee clocks, the first one I think is genuine WWII vintage, the second one I'm not so sure on.

It has some features of the reproduction clocks, but not all of them.

Have a look and let me know if the are just late examples, or atleast the second one a reproduction.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-vintage-military-P-A-A-wall-fusee-clock-working/253732931111?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-English-Fusee-Gallery-Or-Pub-Clock-Incomplete-Small-Size-Rare/163155806098?hash=item25fcd80792:g:iYEAAOSwsbBbRmMP

The first is a genuine 8-day fusee with chain wall clock with anchor escapement.  One fixing peg has been replaced. The key I would suggest changing. These clocks are easier to wind with a crank key.  

The second is a genuine 8-day fusee with steel line wall clock with anchor escapement.  One fixing peg missing. Don’t see any key. The plaster of Paris needs to removed and replaced inside the bezel.  

Both dials are poor and would need restoring. You have to be careful with the bottom opening doors, you will find many locks do not open, keys lost. Due to the moving parts and movement of the pendulum the doors tend to open on their own, some are so loose they will not close shut. The side doors also need to be looked at, hinges get broken, wood warping due to heat or dryness do not close properly. The first one is the one I wold go for.    

• Like 1

Yes the first one I was definately more interested in.

I was about 70% sure the second one was genuine, but in not as nice condition, but then it is selling for 1/4 of the price.

I do agree the second clocks dial is had it, but I actually don't mind the slightly distressed dial on the first one.

The broad arrow with PAA definately makes the first one more interesting. Unsure what PAA stands for, as the only acronym I can find that might fit is ' Pan American Airways ' and aparently during WWII there was a  PAA Seaplane Base in Colmslie Brisbane Australia, but that seems to be a stretch.