Bulova 11BLAC parts

Hi

I have a Bulova 11BLAC automatic movement that I am working on. On dismantling it, I attempted to pry apart two gears attached to one of the bridges. The shaft connecting the two snapped off. The gear drives the second hand. See attached photo. I had to attempt this in order to lubricate it along with one of the jewels on the bridge. 

Is there any way of insuring this does not happen again as well as finding the parts. I have checked with Cousins but they do not have the part. I have found parts listing for the movement but doesn't provide any relevant information.

I am new to watch repairs and appreciate all the help that I have been given. 

Thanks, Terry

20180723_194032.jpg

The unwritten rule with watch repair is don't apply force to anything. I have not worked on this movement but I presume these wheels where on posts. The way to remove is by using the correct puller as below. Or a very straight pull.

56980650_ScreenShot2018-07-24at07_51_37.png.2af6573611608a6f0c6a9619e41f15df.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On most watches you can just clean it in-situ and oil it from underneath the bridge if you can't slide your oiler under the wheel.

The problem is not removing the wheel, its getting it back in place as you will need to press it in from above but the pressure will mean that the wheel will pivot will also be pushing on the dial-side jewel and this is really not a good thing.

Anilv

Edited by anilv
  • Like 1

I did one similar recently, and used the presto tool that @clockboy shows to separate the wheels, and then set up my staking set to put them back together again. No problem. If you don't have the tools,  then take @anilv's advice, and do the best job you can without taking them apart.

• Like 1

I’ve heard these movements described as the alphabet soup movements as they came with seemingly endless combinations of suffix letters. In this case you appear to be talking about parts 5b and 91 per the following: https://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/2175_Bulova 11BLA etc.pdf. These come from the base calibre 11ALC. The part which has broken is 5b, which has the swiss equivalent 214 and Cousins has this in stock... but you will bees a fine punch to press the broken staff out of the intermediate wheel. Alternatively, you may find it easier to buy a used 11ALC OR BLAC from eBay. You will need the correct tool to seperate them or if you search the web you will find alternative methods but all with the risk of damage if the wheel isn’t pulled up straight

Thanks to everyone for your answers. Stuart, I found the 5b and 91 on the parts catalog for the Bulova 11BLAC but without the name of the wheel, I had no clue as to where to look. Where could I have found the description? Being new, I still have to learn the technical names for these watch parts. 

21 hours ago, TerryMcCabe said:

Thanks to everyone for your answers. Stuart, I found the 5b and 91 on the parts catalog for the Bulova 11BLAC but without the name of the wheel, I had no clue as to where to look. Where could I have found the description? Being new, I still have to learn the technical names for these watch parts. 

As a new student, you should go to this web page, download all of the documents and print them out: https://www.cousinsuk.com/document/category/factory-symbols-trade-marks-ebauches-swiss-part-numbers

Once you have printed them, buy some paper index cards, copy each part number and part name onto one card per part and draw the corresponding part on the other side.

Before you go to bed every night for the next 9 months, get someone to test you on 15 to 20 parts or manufacturer symbols until you know them off by heart.

Alternatively, bookmark that page for future reference:-)

Sadly you should note that Bulova uses their own nomenclature so you have too Google their books. Mybulova.com is a good site for the older movements.

• 3 years later...
On 7/25/2018 at 10:52 PM, StuartBaker104 said:

I’ve heard these movements described as the alphabet soup movements as they came with seemingly endless combinations of suffix letters. In this case you appear to be talking about parts 5b and 91 per the following: https://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/2175_Bulova 11BLA etc.pdf. These come from the base calibre 11ALC. The part which has broken is 5b, which has the swiss equivalent 214 and Cousins has this in stock... but you will bees a fine punch to press the broken staff out of the intermediate wheel. Alternatively, you may find it easier to buy a used 11ALC OR BLAC from eBay. You will need the correct tool to seperate them or if you search the web you will find alternative methods but all with the risk of damage if the wheel isn’t pulled up straight

Hi, I came across this post and wondered how you found the equivalent number in Swiss? I can't find any reference information on this. Specifically 334,337,51 screws from 11BLA base

That was 3 years ago… I struggle to remember what I had for breakfast this morning!

I will probably have found a Bulova interchange catalogue on the internet somewhere. Cousins has pages here which show the Swiss part number along side their own, but it’s a bit slow going as the pages are indexed by the Swiss number

https://www.cousinsuk.com/document/category/bulova-movement-parts

14 hours ago, StuartBaker104 said:

That was 3 years ago… I struggle to remember what I had for breakfast this morning!

I will probably have found a Bulova interchange catalogue on the internet somewhere. Cousins has pages here which show the Swiss part number along side their own, but it’s a bit slow going as the pages are indexed by the Swiss number

https://www.cousinsuk.com/document/category/bulova-movement-parts

Ha Ha I know the feeling, It was just a hope. I use Cousins often but running thought the paperwork I can't find a Swiss part next to the part in question. Thank you for letting me know though.

13 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Have you checked with speedtimekolektion? 

There is a good chance they have the part, shiw them picture.

Ships free in europe.

I did have a look through them too but always worth giving it another try, Thank you.