Breitling superocean

Hi I’ve a breitling superocean auto keeps time while it’s on my arm but at night it stops as I wear it all the time with a shake it starts I don’t have loads of money so dose anyone no what it may be and cost ? The watch hasn’t been worn for along time maybe it just needs a good wind ? 

If your watch is authentic it may be worth few thousands, so it makes sense to have it repaired and serviced by a reputable professional, as periodically needed with mechanical mov.ts.

Otherwise you can leave it aside for a different, honest watch that runs reliably. 

Well, the automatic winding is supposed to keep the watch running for 40 hours or so, clearly it's not working so you need to bring it in for repair. Of course if you're OK with manually winding it all the the, that's your decision. I hope that answers your question.

24 minutes ago, Craiguk said:

It’s not been worn for awhile how much is a good winding ?

It's free, as mentioned above you can wind it as you want, anytime.

However, when you run a watch with dried oil it wears pivots and jewels. At that point the repair will be much more expensive that the regular servicing.

I would factor in the region of around £500 for a service, thats the price you pay a luxery marque im afraid, can you manually wind the watch with the stem or is it like a seiko where you can only wind it by the auto winder? My old seikos will start with a shake as im putting them on, ill then shake my wrist for about 5 seconds and fter that if worn all day will keep time, and when taken off at night will keep time all night and the rest of the day of left sitting in the watch box.

If yours isn't able to do this after say 2 days of constant wear then its a trip to the AD to book a service im afraid, or see if a reputable independent will service it for ptobably half the price, but be aware if not a recognised brietling service centre they might find it hard to come by certain spare parts ok.

Hi, Try to wind fully and listen for possible mainspring's sudden discharge. If fully winds, in effort to find symptoms, make a note of how long it runs and the hour/min the hands stop on, after stopping, shake quick to kick restart and note how long it runs afterwards, repeat the whole proceedure over to ses if some pattern is observable, your data may just provide a clue to a master watch repairman.

I would ask repair shop for description of the problem and the reason for repair on repair order sheet. 

Hopefully it is a several hundered euro question, just a fault at a point, since the general weardown throughout the entire movement's train can cost more to fix.

Please do let us know of the final results.

Regards joe

I,ll work with you to narrow down and hopefully find the solution.

If you got the basic tools, screwdriver, tweezers and wrench to remove the back if neccesary. 

Appearantly the watch holds about 3 to six hours of power, starts with a shake. How long after the shake dose it run? 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

I,ll work with you to narrow down and hopefully find the solution.

If you want to "work with the OP" please use PM. The correct  answer has been given already, this expensive watch needs a full service by a professional, no repair is possible or advisable by the owner with just basic tools.

Topic locked, it can be reopened for updates by the OP.

• jdm locked this topic