Just Saying Hallo

WillFly

Hallo  to all members of the Forum. I've been following Mark's watch repairing videos on YouTube with great interest - not only for the knowledge they contain, but also for the excellent way in which they're presented and the skill demonstrated in the watch work.

I'm a collector of watches - both pocket and wrist with mainly mechanical movements - rather than a repairer, but I've tinkered a bit here and there and am continually fascinated by the engineering in a watch movement.

Hi Will, I'm also a new member after watching Marks videos. I have always loved the engineering in a watch, once you put a loupe on your in a different world. Haven't had the guts to attempt to dis and re assemble a piece yet but have bought some scrappers to try. Nice to meet you btw.

Hi Craig - nice to meet you. I've pulled an old movement to pieces quite roughly - just to see what made it tick :lol: - and swapped broken movements for new ones occasionally , but baulked at doing a real repair. Still, as you say, strap on a loupe and get lost in magical world!

• 3 weeks later...

As Craig say's "Put a loupe on and enter another world",  It's a world most people are unaware of.  To develop the skills for watch repairing is not easy,  what is that's worthwhile?  The best advice I can think of is to read as many books as you can on the subject and to practice on watches of no value to start with.  There is a video on YouTube called "Service your Rolex at home" I can only imagine it was made as a joke.  The person taking apart the Rolex is no amatuer and is very skilled.  Anyone attempting to take apart their own £5,000 Rolex must be certifiable,  I've been interested in watches for at least 30 years and in that time have even managed to get some running but I would never attempt a Rolex or anything else of similar value,  I know my limits.

RogerC