Omega 26.5 T3

Hey guys! Great information here. Teaching myself some basic watch maintenance. Really just starting out. Bought this with a view to "learn by doing". It wasn't winding when I started. Had an amazing time taking it apart and examining the parts. The hairspring seemed bent so I had a go at shaping it and damaged it even worse. The study came off and was lost, then part of the spring knotted ... Argh. I'm murdering this watch I know!

I'm having a really tough time finding a compatible replacement. The parts chart says that the balance is "different from basic calibre 100" and to "refer to catalogue GF 239". I can't find any document by that name.

If I could get some help it would be appreciated!

20180626_213847.jpg

20180626_222041.jpg

20180626_205524.jpg

To  be honest you won't find a balance wheel easily. It is not a watch to learn maintenance on unfortunately.
I own a 26.5 SOB movement and I am lucky it is 100% in working order. I recently thought it had a broken balance staff which do still come up for sale - finding a whole wheel for under $200 will be hard. Expect to pay $75 if you do find one.

There are some videos for straightening hair springs. unless you can reshape it with some oilers and tweezers under a microscope I would give up. You may find another hairspring from a similar watch somewhere.

If you get really stuck, I have a similar caliber omega pocket watch balance which you could have for the price of postage (Say $10USD to wherever you are) - but dont know if its drastically different.

Alex

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Alex! That's incredibly generous. I may have to ask you for that part, but will be sure to try all other avenues first. And I would insist on paying you for it.

There are a few that pop up on eBay that have a similar design but I presume they wouldn't be a standard size. This one on eBay for instance looks extremely similar. What are the chances it would fit?

Sorry for the noobish questions.

Screenshot_20180722-224506.png

Holy crap, you've started on an omega, christ I started on a rep rolex found in box at bootfair with a chinese movement that cost £27 all in, you sir are now in a world of hurt, but all is not lost, find a local watchsmith, not tips ons or places like that I mean a smith that when you walk in you know you could spend the best part of  week just looking around his tool set up and going through his drawers of spare parts etc dreaming that your spare bedroom will one day be as well set up as his shop ( anyone else feel like that or is it just me.......just me then, ok lol)  this is the man you need to app och to ask if he would be willing to straighten out your harping,  it might only take him 10 mins, its amazing how skilled these old smiths are, but it will cost you, probably not alot, but show some interest and the wisdom some of these guys can impart is amazing, mine showed me how to broach out a clock plate ready for new pivot holes, didn't charge me, was just happy to help me with a project.

So go and ask your smith for some help mate and let us know how you get on ok

Yeah definitely feeling some regret as I was getting to the deep innards of the watch, being careful not to inhale the smallest screws, referring to YouTube to try and figure out what I was looking at... The watch came up pretty cheap in my neighbourhood and I couldn't pass it up. I'm not sure it would justify the cost of a professional service though, so here I am :)

Still not having any luck. Have emailed a few parts collectors and searched all the usual online auction places.

There are plenty of Omega 265 and 283 balances, some made by Renata. They look similar but I know that doesn't mean much.

Is there any way to find out if they are compatible before investing $100 - 200?

On 7/22/2018 at 3:28 PM, Chopin said:

It was a bad idea to start your hobby on such a good quality and nice watch.
You're supposed to start with cheap and rubbish watches, not Omegas.

Well in this case quality becomes relative considering the poorly repainted dial.

• Like 1

Yes, the dial davalues this watch significantly. They are nice movements top work on, like the 30T2, so I don't think it's so bad to be working on it. Just don't break any pivots! Watch Mark's videos on youtube showing basic servicing.

The cost of a new balance complete makes this project probably not great value. Getting a spares movement isn't such a great option as since the watch has no anti-shock, the balance staff is much more likely to be broken.

I'd sell it and buy another if I were you.

• Like 1

I think its more the case that I am determined to complete the project. The value isn't as important to me. Thanks for pointing out the repainted dial - I honestly don't know how to tell yet! It did seem a little too good.

I have seen a few broken cal 28's on eBay for around the $100 mark.  The balance looks identical - small cut out in the balance wheel, triangle hairspring stud. I'm not sure if they are the same size though. Also, the configuration of the weights seems a little different to the 26.5T3.

What are the chances that it might fit?

(Note the example image appears to be missing a hairspring, so I wouldn't be getting that exact one).

download (3).png

I suggest that you put this aside for the moment at least and focus on developing your skills with other cheap movements. The same money would be better spent on tools, oil, or a subscription to Mark's HD lessons.

14 hours ago, drdamo said:

I think its more the case that I am determined to complete the project. The value isn't as important to me. Thanks for pointing out the repainted dial - I honestly don't know how to tell yet! It did seem a little too good.

I have seen a few broken cal 28's on eBay for around the $100 mark.  The balance looks identical - small cut out in the balance wheel, triangle hairspring stud. I'm not sure if they are the same size though. Also, the configuration of the weights seems a little different to the 26.5T3.

What are the chances that it might fit?

(Note the example image appears to be missing a hairspring, so I wouldn't be getting that exact one).

That looks likely that it would be the same balance as it's non-incabloc. However, the staff is likely to be broken. That watch does not have a different train layout; it has a different bridge configuration and is jewelled to the centre.

2 hours ago, rodabod said:

That looks likely that it would be the same balance as it's non-incabloc. However, the staff is likely to be broken. That watch does not have a different train layout; it has a different bridge configuration and is jewelled to the centre.

Extremely helpful. Thank you!