Hello from upstate NY

Jfree

Hello,

New to the forum and to watchmaking.  I caught the fever about 6 months ago when I inherited a couple of watches, an Omega 2179/5 military from mid 1940's with a 30T2SC movement and my Dad's Rolex oyster from 1952 with a cal 710 movement, that he won in a bingo game in 1952 in the army while stationed on Eniwetok in the middle of the Pacific when he was 21. I took the back off these cases, and couldn't stop staring and filming these operating movements. I am in awe at the precision of these movements.  Then I stopped, realizing the damage I could do running a potentially dry movement. So they sit waiting for me to get some knowledge/confidence to service them.  I have taken Mark's first two courses, taken apart and put back together the Eta 6497 ad nauseum and am moving on to cleaning and lubricating.  I am full of procedural questions. and. Look forward to posting about these projects soon.  

8 hours ago, Jfree said:

Hello,

New to the forum and to watchmaking.  I caught the fever about 6 months ago when I inherited a couple of watches, an Omega 2179/5 military from mid 1940's with a 30T2SC movement and my Dad's Rolex oyster from 1952 with a cal 710 movement, that he won in a bingo game in 1952 in the army while stationed on Eniwetok in the middle of the Pacific when he was 21. I took the back off these cases, and couldn't stop staring and filming these operating movements. I am in awe at the precision of these movements.  Then I stopped, realizing the damage I could do running a potentially dry movement. So they sit waiting for me to get some knowledge/confidence to service them.  I have taken Mark's first two courses, taken apart and put back together the Eta 6497 ad nauseum and am moving on to cleaning and lubricating.  I am full of procedural questions. and. Look forward to posting about these projects soon.  

Hi Jfree Welcome

, you have gone in the right direction so get the practice in.