Jump to content
VWatchie

Mostly Russians, and few Japanese and Swiss

Recommended Posts

Oohh well, for €30 you can't go wrong no matter the history or the authenticity. It looks splendid and it runs, as you said, splendid ..... what else do you want !?? My advice was only if you were thinking about spending serious amounts of money into these watches. Regardless what, for €30 your watch it's a true bargain, better: it's a steal !! :startle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Endeavor said:

Oohh well, for €30 you can't go wrong no matter the history or the authenticity. It looks splendid and it runs, as you said, splendid ..... what else do you want !?? My advice was only if you were thinking about spending serious amounts of money into these watches. Regardless what, for €30 your watch it's a true bargain, better: it's a steal !! :startle:

Thanks, if you are into Russian watches you need to take your misses on holiday to Rimini Italy, half way down the strip there is a roundabout on the side of the road there is a patch of grass where they hold an evening market I think it is on a Wednesday, there is a man on there and he must have about 300 Russian watches on his stand...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't resist and added this diving-watch, anti-magnetic with the classic 420 model SS-case, 2409-movement to my collection ........ How much more Soviet does it get !??

I haven't received it jet. The bezel is new and perhaps I leave it like that, perhaps a SS-green numeric bezel and a fresh seconds-hand? ........ we'll see what suites best.

I'm after the more rare dials out of the CCCP-period and after many years, this is the first time I've seen this dial. Has anybody any idea what the symbol in the dial may mean? A certain Sports event related?

V-0.thumb.jpg.804634792d4eb9f2859b36a6e07353bf.jpg

It has the original anti-magnetic cover under the back-lid;

V-5.thumb.jpg.7ca0676c794444c25d111da054864167.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also found out something more about the dial and my suspicion was right.

According to the seller: "These watches were released specifically from the USSR State Committee on Physical Culture and Sport in the 1980s. For rewards athletes along with medals".

100% authentic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2018 at 8:38 PM, Endeavor said:

I have to stop looking on eBay !! Just stumbled over this CCCP 3AKA3 Komandirskie. It looks in excellent condition and original. For $25 it seems a steal to me :jig: !

 

 

1

Looks legit to me (but don't take my word for it) and in fantastic condition. If you can get for $25 (starting bid?) and the shipping is reasonable, then yes it's a steal!

Edited by VWatchie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Endeavor said:

If I only for once would listen to myself !!

Looks like it's getting X-mas :jig:

 

My wife doesn't know yet :mad:

X-mas surprise :ph34r:

 

That dial is definitely one of Vostok's "coolest"! I need one of those in my life, just waiting for the right one to come by...

Someone once said: "I'm afraid one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I acquired this "the end of WW2" commemorating dial a few years ago. Upon reception I wasn't too impressed, in a way I thought it was dull, not of high quality and a bit boring, certainly compared to other commemorative "Rodina" dials like the 1945 - 1995 issues, which are in my opinion much more colorful & elaborated. It wasn't my taste of dial to build in a watch and to wear it. However through time I've never seen this dial on eBay or any other sides. I decided to ask the much bigger WUS audience, who have lots of experience / expertise in Russian watches, whether the dial was a genuine Vostok at all and how come I haven't seen this dial more often?

Turns out, if I understood it correctly, that around 2010 Vostok went through bankruptcy and re-organization. So far there have been commemorative dials made in 1985, 1995, 2000, 2005 and 2015. But since "nobody" on WUS had ever seen the 2010 issue, collectors started to wonder whether Vostok, in those troubled days, went ever through the efforts making a 2010 (65 years) issue?

Well they did........

As WUS member "bpmurray" puts it: " I think more likely it was just a design that did not survive on the market for long, for one reason or another, rendering it rare today "

One of these rare 2010 commemorative dials was hiding in my drawer and finally in 2018 has seen the "daylight" for WUS collectors :)

Rodina-dial-2010.thumb.jpg.f8c07cedf02bfd299af71f37bc9f0869.jpg

Edited by Endeavor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Added this Vostok "Cadet", or also called "Junior" or "Mini". It has a 32mm case (ex.crown) and nobody is quite sure whether it's a man- or a woman's-watch. Some suggest that these were issued in the '80's to the woman serving in the Russian Navy, but then again, they were also available to the civilian market, product number 461285 and powered by a 2409 movement. Often these dials are full of aging cracks, but this one, even-though used, has a mint dial. These Cadets are, for one reason or another, not much beloved in the collectors world and therefor cheap to get. Regardless, they are still a piece of the CCCP history and aren't produced anymore ..... I like this "dolphin" issue :biggrin:

Dolphin-1.jpg

Dolphin-2.jpg

Edited by Endeavor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Added two more :)

A CCCP Albatros in near mint condition and a rare Barcelona 1992 Olympic games. Both authentic, with 2409 movements and 200 mtr WR :jig: I guess these were my combined X-mas present & birthday present ...... and this for many years to come !

Close up-2.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 18.15.53.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2018 at 4:21 PM, Mattaphysics said:

. There's something quite different from a watch you just buy and wear to one you buy, fix, then wear... Your connected more to that watch.


That is true for watch , not only for watch,  for car or for ship too

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mattaphysics

@patard: I find it interesting to see that you use somebodies else's quote, which in my opinion is taken out of its context.

What are you trying to say?

The way I perceive your post (please correct me if I'm wrong), I like to post the following questions with it:

- When buying a nice & more rare watch from the 1980's or early '90's, from an era which never comes back again: how great do you estimate the chances are that such a watch needs TLC: a nice clean, a thorough inspection and new lubrication?

- Does giving it TLC, taking care of it and preserving count as "connecting" ?

- Does searching for hours & hours, for days, weeks/years long to find that one particular right piece you search for and finally have a chance to acquire it as "connecting"?

Edited by Endeavor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2018 at 9:10 AM, Endeavor said:

I acquired this "the end of WW2" commemorating dial a few years ago. Upon reception I wasn't too impressed, in a way I thought it was dull, not of high quality and a bit boring, certainly compared to other commemorative "Rodina" dials like the 1945 - 1995 issues, which are in my opinion much more colorful & elaborated. It wasn't my taste of dial to build in a watch and to wear it. However through time I've never seen this dial on eBay or any other sides. I decided to ask the much bigger WUS audience, who have lots of experience / expertise in Russian watches, whether the dial was a genuine Vostok at all and how come I haven't seen this dial more often?

Turns out, if I understood it correctly, that around 2010 Vostok went through bankruptcy and re-organization. So far there have been commemorative dials made in 1985, 1995, 2000, 2005 and 2015. But since "nobody" on WUS had ever seen the 2010 issue, collectors started to wonder whether Vostok, in those troubled days, went ever through the efforts making a 2010 (65 years) issue?

Well they did........

As WUS member "bpmurray" puts it: " I think more likely it was just a design that did not survive on the market for long, for one reason or another, rendering it rare today "

One of these rare 2010 commemorative dials was hiding in my drawer and finally in 2018 has seen the "daylight" for WUS collectors :)

Rodina-dial-2010.thumb.jpg.f8c07cedf02bfd299af71f37bc9f0869.jpg

Dull....on the contrary...I think it is quite fascinating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Watchtime said:

Dull....on the contrary...I think it is quite fascinating

Even though the dial is still not exactly to my taste, it has become indeed very fascinating. Now I'm on a quest to find out what happened? Are there more of these dials? If ever existed, how did the watch look like? Can I find the watch or perhaps reproduce one with the, while still available, original parts? A journey which most likely brings me in 2019 to the Vostok HQ in Russia and who knows after that? Talking about "connecting" to a watch .....

It's amazing to see & to learn on the WUS forum about Russian watches, how passionate they are and how much knowledge there is, but also how much isn't known ...... nearly every day a Russian watch "surprise" surfaces. This dial was one of them and the "story" is far from over...... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2018 at 1:22 PM, Endeavor said:

Even though the dial is still not exactly to my taste, it has become indeed very fascinating. Now I'm on a quest to find out what happened? Are there more of these dials? If ever existed, how did the watch look like? Can I find the watch or perhaps reproduce one with the, while still available, original parts? A journey which most likely brings me in 2019 to the Vostok HQ in Russia and who knows after that? Talking about "connecting" to a watch .....

It's amazing to see & to learn on the WUS forum about Russian watches, how passionate they are and how much knowledge there is, but also how much isn't known ...... nearly every day a Russian watch "surprise" surfaces. This dial was one of them and the "story" is far from over...... :)

2

If Vostok accepts you, take me along! ;) I've heard somewhere they're very reluctant to accept visitors. As I understand it, Dmitry who runs meranom.com is closely connected to the factory, so maybe if you can win his trust. Also, Dmitry speaks English unlike most Russians (I believe).

I know I've seen that "the end of WW2" commemorating dial on eBay a few times in the past but it never really connected to me. I'll let you know if I see it somewhere again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VWatchie said:

I know I've seen that "the end of WW2" commemorating dial on eBay a few times in the past but it never really connected to me. I'll let you know if I see it somewhere again.

Interesting that you have seen it; Collectors on WUS are claiming that they searched high & low for the 2010, without any suc6 so far. Here an quote from a WUS answer:  "I've not seen this one before and there's talk on this thread if such a dial was ever made: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/ko...791366-75.html"  

Also, the 2005 WWII, which is a known issue, looks a bit alike ..... but for the collectors the numbers are "wrong" for the 65 years B)

If you see the 2010, yes please let me know :startle:

458262228_ScreenShot2018-12-28at12_45_55.png.b94f99ef07a646d54bcfc445f9d9f899.png

As for my journey to Vostok; I was more thinking in the lines of via internet ...... but one never knows !!??? That would be something to go over there !! For sure, my wife won't join, so unless you wife joints, it will be the two of us :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

Edited by Endeavor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Endeavor said:

Interesting that you have seen it; Collectors on WUS are claiming that they searched high & low for the 2010, (---)

 

As for my journey to Vostok; I was more thinking in the lines of via internet ...... but one never knows !!??? That would be something to go over there !! For sure, my wife won't join, so unless you wife joints, it will be the two of us :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

2

Oops! I probably haven't seen the 2010 version. It was more likely the 2005. I didn't take much notice as it didn't really appeal to me. Anyway, if I see it I promise to let you know!

Yeah, imagine, going to the motherland to visit the factory in Chistopol! My wife certainly wouldn't want to follow along, so we'd probably have an amazing time (pun intended!). :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7bbc1f4450f835d1047a9b0a000722d6.jpg

Hi guys, and happy new year to you all, I am seeking some advice as I don’t tend to do quartz watches, it’s a seconda with a poljot 2460 movement.
A friend of mine was given it over Xmas as it was his uncles whom has passed away and would like to get it working he took it to timpsons for a new battery to no avail, so my question is other than getting a replacement poljot movement from the USA is there a replacement movement that you know of.

Many thanks Kaz


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PilyotCorrosion.png.056495c9bf0a58f7c0c33721c1f1cbe5.pngJust from the pictures, I suspect a little cleaning and corrosion removal would get that working. If you look under at the bottom of the cell holder, you will see some interesting "metal salts", if you carefully remove the screw to the left, clean all of that till it is shiny and replace the screw, then try it again, you my be rewarded with a working watch. It may in fact be  the case that the left hand tab is simply missing, and replacing that with a piece of suitable thin plated brass or copper cut to size (from some other cheapo quartz) might get it working too.

Quite a number of the quartz movements I've acquired as "freebies" when purchasing other watches were similarly afflicted. A brass or fiberglass scratch pen, or even some fine grit emery paper will help remove the tarnish, be careful not to get any of the debris in the mechanism as even the tiniest particle of grit could prove fatal if it gets in the gears.  

If you have a multimeter, then put it on resistance (or diode check) and briefly place one probe on the +ve tab and one on the -ve if you see no reaction, then you have a break somewhere, but if you get a high resistance, then you are probably making progress.

Bear in mind these things sip tiny amounts of current, somewhere in the order of 10μ A or less,  so the resistance measurement likely to be correspondingly  high. The coils blocks alone, are usually of the order of 1 kΩ to 10 kΩ. In other words, connecting your multimeter and expecting to see the current being drawn is a forlorn hope, unless you have a specialist meter that can measure in the μ A  to p A range, but resistance measurement is an easier task.

 

 

Edited by AndyHull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×